grace for yourself

You crazy Galatians! Did someone put a hex on you? Have you taken leave of your senses? Something crazy has happened, for it's obvious that you no longer have the crucified Jesus in clear focus in your lives. His sacrifice on the Cross was certainly set before you clearly enough.

Let me put this question to you: How did your new life begin? Was it be working your heads off to please God? Or was it by responding to God's Message to you?
Galatians 3 vs. 1-2 (the Message)


I sometimes listen to Pastor Paul Sheppard's Enduring Truth radio show with Syd and Ben on our drive in to school. We think he's funny, and like his Star Wars illustrations. I also listen to him to keep in touch with my African-American roots. I didn't get my physique totally from the white man, pretty sure.

Today my radio was still on Christian talk after I left the gym, and a woman pastor was preaching, going through a checklist of obedience.

"Do you pray for those who mistreat you? Do you revere your husband? Do you always speak words that edify and are full of grace?"

As I listened to her checklist, I was like...yes, yes, okay ...stop! It hit me that so many sermons, radio shows, podcasts deal with our obedience. We could spend all our time in study finding fault with ourselves for not measuring up and carry it like a heavy weight around with us all day.

I totally believe we need to obey and do the things the Lord outlines for us in the Bible, in our treatment of others. But something He's been speaking to me lately is about grace for ourselves.

Do you pray for yourself? Or do you beat yourself up? Have you forgiven yourself for sins you've committed and been forgiven of? Do you revere yourself as a child of God? Do you speak outloud His promises for you?

It's very easy to go from being in His Spirit to being in a religious spirit. I would even venture to say most of us go back and forth several times a day. We are human. We are not always going to walk as Spirit-filled sons and daughters.

There is a difference between conviction by His spirit versus condemnation of the religious spirit. Do you have peace, are you living a surrendered life? Or are you striving to make things happen, is there a fear of losing control? Is there fruit from your days or do your days look happy only when your checklist is complete?

Life in the Spirit is messy. It's out of your control. You will be attacked. But there is complete peace in the abandonment, in knowing who you are in Christ and loving because He first loved you. In getting back on track, knowing there is grace, always grace, and forgiving yourself when you stray.

Stop analyzing your shortcomings and start focusing on the immense love Jesus has for you. Let that be the focus of why you love others!