gossip girl (and boy)

This is a subject that has been heavy on my heart the last few days so allow me to share. The Lord hates it when we gossip. It breaks His heart.

I gossip. We all do at some point. We do it a lot. Today I was thinking about how we tend to rationalize our gossip. Maybe even categorize it unconsciously. There is the damaging gossip...bent on ruining another person's reputation. I personally know this makes Jesus beyond angry. There is "inquiring" gossip...when you feel led to ask a friend, a co-worker, about someone else when you should really be talking to that person instead. This is lame and we all do it.

There is "subtle" gossip..this is where you say something nice about the person, than something totally damaging, then back to something nice, as if it justifies what you just said. Again, just as awful. There is the "pride" gossip, when you know something confidential someone else doesn't...and you maybe hint at it to build yourself up. Or maybe you just blow the secret totally.

It needs to stop.

When I learn that someone has been talking about me behind my back...I have the urge to be really angry about it. Don't we all?!? But I have learned what the Lord wants is for us to take that person before the throne of the Lord. I forgive them, remembering how much I've been forgiven. I bless them. And I ask the Lord to give them a word from Him. I don't care what that word is. I don't need to know. But I do all this remembering He is my Defender. And that person is no greater a sinner than I am. And I walk away from it.

Too many ministries, lives get dismantled because of gossip, and I really think it has to do with the response of your heart. I completely trust Jesus with my life, it's His. He'll take care of it.

You are my hiding place;
You shall preserve me from trouble;
You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.
Psalm 32:7

I've been asking the Lord to put checks in my spirit against gossip. And He's doing it. I literally feel a weight on my chest if my words turn there. And I close my mouth. What checks do you ask the Lord to give you? Against lust? Against greed? I know I have walked around Crate and Barrel carrying things I did not need to have, did not need to buy, all because of greed. The weight of conviction was there. I put them back. Weight gone. That simple.

Gossip is cruel, damaging and so divisive. In the church we should have zero tolerance of it. We see it as a small sin sometimes, but I'm telling you, it breaks the Lord's heart. That's enough for me to want to not ever gossip again, no matter how much someone has hurt me, no matter how wrong I think they are. I give it over to Jesus and feel His joy become my strength! Life is too short to focus on anything else but His perfect plan for you.

I will instruct you and teach you in
the way you should go;
I will guide you with My eye.

Many sorrows shall be to the
wicked;
But he who trusts in the LORD,
mercy shall surround him.

Be glad in the LORD and rejoice,
you righteous;
And shout for joy, all you upright
in heart!
Psalm 32: 8, 10-11

One of my favorite sermons dealing with the topic of gossip and humility is by Francis Chan, simply called Humility. Look for it in his podcasts if you're interested. I mention it every so often because it still stands out to me, 18 months or so later.