i am okay with king friday however

I know a lot of you tune into my blog because you want to hear my deepest, darkest secrets. The true confessions of my soul. Okay, so I'm about to share one with you. Hopefully it will encourage you and make you stronger in your own journey.

I have a severe aversion to muppets. To anything puppet-like, marionnette-like... just writing this makes me cringe. Any little felt zombie with big plastic eyes and little hands on sticks. My worst nightmare, aside from being eaten alive by a shark, is to be in a room alone filled with muppets.

So it's somewhat ironic that my husband Steve has gotten involved in the puppet ministry at our church. My friend David thinks it's happening so I can go through deliverance. Actually I'm totally great with Steve's involvement with these horrific beings, I love and respect his ministry to children. And there is nothing self-glorifying about being on the puppet team. A long time ago I wanted to get him a t-shirt that simply read "I'm on the puppet team," because it's such his heart. Now that it's actually true, it's a must.

The other day he mentioned the person heading up the puppet ministry is moving. "I might take it over," he says. "It would mean I would have to bring the puppets home." These are not cute little King Friday puppets. These are giant yarn-haired, button-nosed, intrusive - and I suspect- murderous puppets.

Somehow I knew it would come to this. I could ask him to store them in his car I suppose. It will take a strong move of God to get me over my fear. I'm just saying...

My friend David also reminded me of how puppets can increase communication between people. "Yeah," says my friend Debbie. "You guys can talk things out with puppets." If I didn't find that so funny, I would have cried.

So dear reader, remember the puppet man or woman in your church. Remember their family. You may think it's an easy ministry to be apart of, but everyone sacrifices for the sake of the children's laughter. Nightmares come and nightmares go, but the puppet man remains.