do something

Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder the past. Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth: Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness. Rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:18,19

A few of us gathered to pray and worship last Sunday night in a home for the new thing God is doing in our church. In a few weeks we will begin a season of prayer and fasting. I am excited! I know this is not the 'norm' in most American churches today, to call out the body for an extended time of prayer and fasting. I know God will use it powerfully, because that is who He is. Why He uses prayer and fasting so hugely, I don't know, but we don't need to know. We just need to do it.

This passage from Isaiah is what we are asking the Lord to do, here and now in the dusty, dry, dead landscape that is Kyle, Texas. And guess what? The past few days the rain has come. Wednesday's sunrise brought a double rainbow, and thunderous bolts of lightning shook our homes all morning. We continue to ask He will do in the supernatural what He is doing in the natural.

Who but Jesus? Tell me who. There is no one else.

I won't lie to you, there are days when there doesn't even seem to be a spiritual pulse here and it's easier to believe in my unbelief than to believe God will move. That a sleepy comfortable town can't know a wild unpredictable God. Doesn't want to know.

But God...He has leaned in, as a Father gently leads his child, and whispers "pray". And it's that holy fighting kind of prayer that gets in your soul, a thorn that wants working out, an asking over and over for God to do something. To teach us to pray and to make us His worshippers. It's reaching up in prayer and asking God to turn his face to us, a people who are undeserving.

I know this. I know He is who He says He is. He is the One who is faithful and true. "This people I have formed for Myself; They shall declare My praise." Isaiah 43:21 So we hold on to the hem of his garment, not letting go until He does something.

Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write for these words are true and faithful." Revelation 21:5