coffee cups, pt. 1

I love the start of school, for many reasons. One is for the meetings I have over coffee re-connecting with college students who have been gone all summer. I also love the time I have alone with Jesus over my early morning/afternoon coffee. Over the years I have accumulated an interesting group of coffee mugs, each with it's own purpose and joy. This is a mug I picked up in Port Aransas this summer, at one of those gift shops that is all kitsch. I got it for the lone seagull inside. I like to use it when I'm having a Bette Midler Beaches moment. So pretty much every morning. I promised one of my brothers he could have it one day, if he was really, really lucky. Something tells me he won't want it.
I got this for Steve at the UT Blanton Museum of Art, for him to take to work. It's still in our cabinet. "Art is warm." Is that not manly enough for thou? Doest thou not want people to think you art warm?
I painted this mug with my friend Jakes. It says 'love is in the house'. It's the ugliest mug I own and have ever created. I never use it. Steve loves it. Jakes also painted a mug, equally ugly, if not more.
She wrote 'I heart Anne' on the bottom.
I didn't really appreciate that.

Steve got me this mug in Marble Falls and paid way too much for it,
because he loves me. Jakes found it's matching mate at a thrift shop in Michigan for 50 cents. She bought it. She really makes me angry sometimes. But I love this mug.

This is from a set I bought Steve. They have no handles and burn the heck out of your hands. But I still use them, I like the challenge. I like to use one in the afternoon before I drive I-35 to pick up the boys from school, full of old morning mexican coffee that has gotten stronger in the pot and then microwaved.
I like to believe it gives me super powers.

This mug does not belong to me.

My family has a thing for this Swedish pancake house called Al Johnson's in Door County, Wisconsin. I have many kitchen items from this place covered with dancing Swedes, elves, Tomtoms and the like. What's not to like about happy dancing creatures in tights?

This is my oldest mug, I think it came from a trip to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky when I was 3. Is it not stunning in it's simplicity?

If this mug doesn't say airport purchase all over it, I don't know what does. I like to use this when I pray for London... or just wish I was in London.
Hope you enjoyed that little trip down coffee cup lane.
Next up, weekly installments of the most wondrous Christmas gifts you have ever seen, thanks to the incredible catalogs I am now receiving in the mail.
Bonne Nuit!