i'd do anything for you, dear

If you are a guy reading this blog, this one is going to bore you because it's all about losing weight.

I went on the Maker's Diet last fall and lost some weight on it, and then I gained most of it back over the holidays. I'm not a fan of that plan. I think Jesus ate lobster.

I like to eat. I like to cook. I may not cook everything in butter like the Barefoot Contessa but gaining weight has never been a hard thing for me. I'm a social eater. I like Mexican Martinis.

So as of late I've been looking at different diet plans and exercising more. Exercise alone doesn't do it for me though because I always know exactly how many calories I have burned on the elliptical and what I can now eat because of it. I have become fascinated with knowing my BMI. I have learned that I am a Big Mac away from being obese in the world of body mass index.

I tell this to Blonde FunkNation. I think the way I put it was, "I'm obese and you are going to have to deal with that." He is usually speechless at these proclamations. Then he tells me I'm beautiful. "No, I'm obese. Accept it."

This is what I'm realizing. When overweight/obese people are told they are beautiful, they get into their car and drive to the DQ for a blizzard. I "realize" this maybe too much. Then "they" get mad at themselves, and find someone else who will tell them "they" are beautiful....and so on. If you want to be my friend, tell me I'm fat. However if you write that as comment it won't get published.

I LOVE that my husband always sees me as beautiful, incidentally. I don't take that for granted at all. He has put up with all sorts of vanity and insecurity on my part in the 21 years he has known me and still sees me as beautiful. It's incredible.

I don't think I'm obese, really. What I do believe is that my bones are made of gold and weigh more than other peoples bones. That my heart is solid gold, like the dancers. I'm thinking I need to have that test done where you are weighed in water. There is some truth to the idea that overweight people having a higher muscle mass because they are carrying extra weight around. They need all that muscle to support it. If you follow this theory, when I lose weight, I will have a perfectly cut body under my extra fat. So I'm believing that.

I surfed several different health sites to see if anyone would tell me my BMI was okay. No one. So tomorrow I'm going to Weight Watchers. My dad goes weekly and I am joining his class, which should be hilarious. I looked at what they said I should weigh, and I haven't weighed that since probably the 10th grade. I am going to tell the Weight Watchers instructor that my bones are made of gold and that she will have to cut me some slack. But I will still benefit from losing some pounds. And I want to set a better standard for my son Ben, who also likes to eat. I'll do anything for my kids, even go to Weight Watchers.