austin stone on campus

I SO love college students. I realized yesterday at about 2:00 p.m. that Austin Stone on Campus was happening that night and I just wanted to be there. Like right then. More than anything, I just wanted to be there when Jesus connected with those students.

I love praying on the campus of UT. I love anointing the stage of the Hogg Auditorium, and then getting kicked off it by UT staff. I love praying in the darkness of the rafters by myself. I love praying with college students who are gathered in a small room backstage to intercede through the night. They were praying so loud and so intensely it was all I could do but kneel on the floor and agree with their prayers. It was so good for my heart.

I met one of the Austin Stone's new college interns for the first time, Scott Frazier. This kid is so obviously in love with Jesus, so fired up, so ready to go. So desperate for his campus to be saved. Picture Matt Carter at 20, except in hyper mode. I think this kid eats Jesus cereal for breakfast. At one point in the evening Matt referred to him as the "electric chihuahua." Here's a picture I took of him from the rafters with my phone as he wrapped up the evening.

You have to read Aaron Ivey's account of the night on his blog to get a worship leader's perspective. And he's funnier than me. But from my perspective, I did feel the weariness, the weight of the world on these students. I wondered how many even knew Jesus. I felt a rise in my spirit as they rallied in worship and God's presence fell heavily on them. I know some were hearing the warcry and being stirred up even more than before. And I know some were at His feet, maybe for the first time.

As I walked out of the auditorium, most students had left. A few were still praying together. Towards the back sat one guy, with his head still down. It stirred something in my heart seeing him, the way your heart stirs when you know Jesus is moving. I paused for just a moment, drawn to what was happening. Like a moth to the flame...

I left with a smile on my face, as I walked out into the misting rain. The angels had a good party in the Hogg Auditorium, no doubt. I know God's people did. He is changing the atmosphere of the UT campus. Thank you for that Lord. So much.