a week in the life

monday, september 10
HEB, Kyle, Texas. I'm missing Central Market, my sporadic conversations with checker N. and I'm praying for a Whole Foods to rise up out of the dust. The checker in my line, who happens to be named Jesus, starts talking to me. "Yeah, so they keep hiring all these part-time students and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my full-time job." To which I don't respond, as I'm thinking about my day ahead. Then the Holy Spirit shoves me and I say, "I'm sorry - what did you just say?" Jesus is a low-talker like checker N. and has the same quality of acting like we are instant best friends. What is it about me and grocery stores? I'm starting to dig it like Jesus digs it. Jesus Christ, that is. Checker Jesus tells me more as he bags my groceries, his tattooed arms moving slow. He seems a little high. "I'll pray for you to keep your job," I say, to which he doesn't respond.

A few hours later I'm sitting in our study, not really thinking about anything and I watch a car pull up across the street - one I've seen many times before. I've never really noticed the driver before, but as he gets out I see it's Jesus in his red HEB shirt. That's right, Jesus lives right across the street from me. Do I invite him to our vision community group? I mean, who doesn't want Jesus in their group? Pondering that.

Tuesday, September 11
Casa Smith. The training of Scout, our crazy cuban dog, is a task of joy. I'm working on his spiritual skills and the boys are housetraining him. He hasn't talked like Balaam's donkey yet, but I haven't lost hope. I watch as Ben carries Scout outside and hear him tell the dog in a low voice, "I'm going to make you big for mercy." This is a result of reading comic books all summer - beg for mercy in a new light. Ben is not exactly the gentle dog whisperer. We are all looking forward to Ben playing flag football this semester. Playing being the key word. He's also taking a fish oil supplement to help his brain development. After 3 days I ask him if he feels any different. "It's poison," he tells me. "I couldn't remember that 1 plus 1 equals 2." When Syd and I laugh, he repeats, "I'm telling you, it's poison!" I don't know where he gets all the drama.

Wednesday, September 12
Metro, South Austin. I'm worshipping at Metro with my new kooky friend, Stephanie Cherry. Her mercy-loving husband Denbigh is leading worship. These two are part of our answer to prayer for Spirit-filled friends in Plum Creek. I am loving that there are only 40 or so people at Metro and Jesus is rocking the place like He does when the Austin Stone has 1,000. And if the night couldn't get any better, my extra-kooky friend Brenda, an intercessor who wears a golden acorn around her neck, shows up. We pray for the pastor and I am so thankful that I live in Austin, Texas and am part of the larger body of believers.

Thursday, September 13
Iden B. Payne Theatre, UT Campus. The Austin Stone is having a worship service on campus. It's so good. I'm there to intercede and I'm in a moment of barrenness, having no oil in my lamp whatsoever, if I can speak metaphorically for a moment. I pray but it feels robotic. There is no one in sight except the band and Matt. I ask God to show me what's on His heart. I'm trying to be obedient to praying over the seats as I've been asked to, but Jesus is leading me all over the place, prayerwalking stairs, anointing doorways with oil. I'm thinking of the drama students and I want my heart to break for this generation. It finally does after the place fills with students and I watch them from a high place in the theatre. I close my eyes and I see the UT football stadium filled with students.

As Matt prays for the prodigals, my tears flow for this campus I love, for the days I spent here wandering and lost 20 years ago. I love the land. At the end of the evening there is a time for prayer ministry and God sends one wounded young woman to me. One touch on her back brings tears to her eyes, one sentence of asking her if she feels like she is in a barren place brings sobs. I pray into what I know, trusting God to heal her. There are so many like her, loving Jesus but feeling so lost. Jesus will heal her, He's the best!

Friday, September 14
Poolside at Plum Creek. Ben is at home, recovering from a stomach bug. This is probably because he was also home sick on Thursday and we went swimming. I'm understanding more the Father's love through my heart for my children. The day before Ben yells to me upstairs, and I think he's saying something about chicken noodle soup and I yell yes back. Moments later he's dressed in his swimsuit and goggles. How can I deny him? He doesn't seem too sick.

We go to the pool and there is no one there. We have a view of the Plum Creek fishing lake, and lazy hawks soar overhead in the big open sky. These are the moments I cherish with my children. Until ten minutes later when his headache returns and I realize I'm going to have to answer to Steve on this. My parenting style is more like Pippi Longstocking and his is more like Mr. Rogers. It seems to be working out splendidly.

Saturday, September 15
Soccer fields, somewhere in Buda. Syd is having a rough time transitioning to a new school and is really missing his friends in North Austin. Soccer try-outs were the week before, which he went to with Steve. But minutes later he is back in the house, running to me crying, telling me he feels all alone and doesn't want to go. It breaks my heart and I tell him I will go with him and pray the whole time. So there I sit in the bleachers, tears behind sunglasses, watching as Steve and he kick a ball back and forth. I look for potential friends for Syd. I see a dad in a Christian t-shirt and I pray his son and Syd will end up on the same team. I'm desperate like this. Syd knows no one. Later in the draft, they do end up on the same team. Not only that, both of Syd's coaches and 4 of the boys on his team are Jesus lovers, sweet boys like Syd's friends in North Austin. And today he made 4 of the team's 6 goals. How much Jesus loves Syd!!!

Sunday, September 16
Austin High School parking lot. It's mid-afternoon and I have a burning desire to get back to the gym and pray over our church's stage and worship area before the 5 o'clock service. Sometimes I have no idea why I do what I do except the Holy Spirit's propulsion. As I'm being rocketed there I almost run over a policeman's foot in the process, in the parking lot. A big African-American policeman. "Whoa! Whoa!" he yells banging on my car's hood, as I roll down my window to apologize. "I'm so sorry. I need to get in there." They are monitoring traffic for the ACL fest in Zilker Park. "Where?" he says, testing me. "The Austin Stone," I reply. "What's that?" he says. He's pushing it. I take off my sunglasses, and look him in the eye. "It's my church! It's my Beloved! My JESUS CHRIST!" To which all three policeman laugh and stand back to let me through. Good times. Did you know Austin's new police chief is Spirit-filled? Way to go Jesus!