hearing God's voice

I taught recently on hearing God's voice to some women in our church.  I love that He speaks to us individually.  Through the Bible, through visions, through dreams, through other people.  I've had some crazy dreams and visions.  I love when God speaks that way.  Sometimes I just hear his voice.  I've never heard it audibly.  But I hear him speaking with a natural voice.  Which makes sense.  He created us in his image.  We have speaking voices that are natural.  I believe he does too.  Not everything He says is going to sound like thunder.  Recently I learned more of how He speaks through some teaching in the prayer course.

This afternoon I was driving along I-35 as I do every day, not thinking about too much other than trying to remember what I was making for dinner, and I began to think of a  person I haven't thought of in a while, or seen in years.  I could see his face clearly.

I'm getting pretty good at knowing when it's God speaking to me.  He speaks to us as we are wired;  I have a knowing, a quickening in my spirit.  So I asked God what was going on with this person.  The words 'a baby' were spoken into my thoughts.  I wondered if this person who is relatively newly married was trying to have a baby, had a baby, or if his wife was pregnant with one.  I didn't get an immediate answer.

My next thought was to check facebook.  Maybe because I'm a mom.  Maybe because I tend to believe all things family related will eventually be posted there.  And if I believe the Lord is telling me something, I'm pretty persistent about knowing it.  I want to know what matters to him.  I will even resort to facebook.  So I went to this person's "wall" in facebook, and saw that the last post was someone congratulating him on the baby.  Which I'm guessing is his baby.  He doesn't seem to be on facebook much at all, but it was really nice to know this bit.

Hearing the Lord's voice gives me a desire to pray more, to ask the Lord how to pray about whatever it is He's talking to me about.  Prayer is most alive to me when it's a conversation, of listening to him and speaking back.  It gets boring if I make it about my requests only.  He may not answer me right away, but I like leaving it an open conversation between the two of us.