what we are responsible for

Imagine Art is packing up next week and moving into the Austin House of Prayer, to share space and community. So excited about this. More from the eastside and what God is doing in our hearts in that little area next week...

In the meantime, it's been on my mind to pose a few questions that are Kingdom related. I believe God is saying the same things to all of us, whether we are a new ministry, a well-known ministry, or a missionary out in the middle of some remote desert plain.

I can't stop thinking about something that was said to me last week. It was one pastor talking about another pastor. It wasn't edifying, and I'm sure the person talking felt he was defending God's truth. I know he is a man of conviction. But it was said so matter-of-factly, it placed a warning in my spirit.

At what point do we stop being a carrier of truth and begin to defend God unnecessarily? At what point do we begin to let theological differences damage the work of the Kingdom?

I mean, I'm pretty sure God can defend Himself. It's laughable really that we would even try. Don't you think He is well aware of each spiritual leader's deviation from the truth, if that is the case? Don't you think His way of dealing with them is much more effective than anything we could dream up, or say?

I would never forbid or try to control another person from hearing God's truth from a spiritual authority I knew to carry the saving grace of Jesus Christ. If I personally tried to find a church on earth that believed exactly what I believe, I would have nowhere to go. I mean, where does a sometimes-closet-charismatic, Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, non-denominational person go to church these days?

Is anyone else tired of all the division? I think we all have about 100 years or less on earth, except for my mom who takes more vitamins than humanly possible - she is probably getting 110 years. I don't want to spend my time debating theological differences or looking at church trends. The Jesus I know is unpredictable, crazy wild. He lives outside of time.

Sometimes I think He must laugh at our Western churches that have 4 services in one day. We run around like crazy, fitting into a schedule, herding people in and out. Here's an idea - church all day, led by the Spirit, maybe we sing the same worship song 10 times. Maybe we worship with all different songs. Maybe we hear 3 different sermons. Maybe we walk out and go have lunch and come back. Nobody is worried they missed out on something. Maybe we actually pray for more than 10 minutes. Scandalous.

Maybe we just keep circling around the throne,.... oh wait that's heaven. Yeah, we wouldn't want heaven invading earth.

I think God's call to unity in the Kingdom is much more greater than pointing out differences in theology. Actually, I think it's acutely imperative, and any church that thinks it can go it alone and not have unity with other churches that make up the body will fail. I'm not talking picking one or two other ministries that fit our need to minister. I mean unity with the churches that are hard to love and look very different from our own. And that we are not taking on as a charity case in our own cities. We are not meant to be an island called to save a city. It's laughable. It's foolish. It's not sustainable. It will fail.

One of the best sermons I have heard on humility is by Francis Chan. Really it's by the Holy Spirit - Francis just happens to be preaching it. It's titled Humility if you want to hear the podcast. He talks about how you don't talk about the leaders God has put in authority. Period. You just don't. God will deal with them. And He will deal with you if you do. Trust me on this one. I am not saying anything here I don't struggle with myself.

Do you love His Kingdom enough to unify with those in the body who believe differently - aside from His fundamental gospel message - from you? Are you brave enough to do that? There is joy in unity and there is joy in reaching out of your comfort zone. Most of us are pretty good at reaching out...but do we believe the other parts of the body have anything to offer us? Are we good on our own? Do we think we need no help?

Get ready. His Kingdom is coming.