forgiveness

Someone shared this definition of forgiveness with me today, and I really liked it.

Forgiveness: To give up the hope of changing the past, accepting it for what it is, counting the cost, and moving on.

I am having to forgive myself, to forgive the people around me. Layers of hurt require layers of forgiveness. Grief, anger, forgiveness...followed by grief, anger, forgiveness. Ever find yourself there?

I have had to forgive God. Not that God needs my forgiveness, but I have felt as though He has put me in situations that have resulted in a lot of pain. It's his fault, or so I want to believe. I never asked for any of this. I've also believed that He allowed adverse situations to come out of my sin.

But that is not how God deals. That is not how God loves. That is not the grace of God.

Someone asked me recently how I felt God's love for me. I couldn't answer. I know He loves me. How do I feel it? At the time I couldn't at all.

Do I feel gifted in intercession? Not really. Do I feel prophetic? On fire? Not at all. Special? Nope. Am I wanting to believe He has used me despite my weaknesses? Desperately.

Ever been there?

For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:15-16

Ronnie used that passage in his sermon last week, and it's still the passage I'm carrying around in my heart. For all my sadness, for all my failures, for all my wasted days, He is enough. He is all I need.

This week Matt preached on how our denial of our little sins lead us into even bigger sins. Definitely true. But I wonder, as we pray for the Spirit to convict us with our sin, what will that look like for many of us?

If you do not know the love of Jesus, if you are not feeling it - have never felt it in your life- how are you are going to respond to Him in relationship and obey? Without receiving His grace, where is the hope for turning away from your sin?

Some of you believe His love is conditional. Some of you have been hurt by love that was conditional among your church friends, in your family. Or had the realization that the love you thought was there, never was. I've been there. That is NOT God's love. Some of you have been hurt by love that has grown cold. That is NOT God's love. Some of you are simply frozen, unable to receive or give love because the thought of being hurt again is too much. That is NOT how God loves. Let Him heal your heart.

"I made you thrive like a plant in the field; ...I spread my wing over you ...Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine," says the Lord GOD. Then I washed you in water, yes, I thoroughly washed off your blood, and I anointed you with oil....Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen, silk and embroidered cloth. You were exceedingly beautiful and succeeded to royalty." (taken from Ezekiel 16: 7-13)

This is how God loves YOU. I really pray you will believe it, and feel it.