day thirty-three

You Are

But I am like a green olive tree in the
house of God;
I trust in the mercy of God forever
and ever.
Psalm 52:8 (nkjv)

Tonight in our Song of Solomon study group, we began at the beginning again, looking closely at the first few verses. There is so much there, and as we talked about the oil of the Bridegroom being poured out, Kate mentioned how the fragrant oil was made with olive oil. Which made me think of a little study I did a while back on olive trees.

I love David's words above in his declaration to God. He could have picked any tree to compare himself to - why an olive tree? Why a young, green one?

If you study where olive trees were grown in David's time, you will find they were planted in an area close to the groves of the heathens. Because of that the olive trees would not have been chosen for God's house, for the temple garden. Olive trees are hardy, drought resistant, able to grow deep roots even in the limestone soil they can habitate - as in the area David lived - with little water. They lived long lives if they were pruned regularly and carefully.

David was not saying he wanted to see olive trees in the house of God. He was saying he was like one. He was saying he wanted to live a long life in the presence of God. That come what may, nothing was going to uproot him, or separate him, or keep him from bearing fruit in God's holy presence.

David wrote this psalm after Doeg the Edomite lied and stirred up Saul's jealousy even more towards David, resulting in the killings of 85 priests at Nob, the city of the priests. Nob was situated on the Mount of Olives. I believe David had to be feeling more than a little sorrow, more than a little passionate about these priestly deaths among olive trees. His own life spared. How his spirit must have risen up as he declared but God I am like an olive tree in your house! I am not moving! Even in his young life he was deeply rooted, displaying great faith and trusting God's mercy greatly.

I wonder about those olive trees planted close to the heathens gardens. Is it possible to dwell in God's house and close to heathens? I'm pretty sure that's where Jesus would have dwelled. Where He goes, I will go. Surely His goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.

I will praise You forever.
Because You have done it.
I will wait on Your name.
For it is good.
Psalm 52: 9