His hand is not shortened

Next week Syd is going camping with some of the other youth from Hope in the City.  They are going to Camp Nikos, counseling and hanging out with some kids from the east side of Austin.

He is so excited to go.  I don't know where he gets his camping genes from.  Both Steve and I enjoy the air conditioned, hotel bound vacations. Camping for a week in 100 degree temperatures doesn't sound fun.  But he is stoked.

Truly I'm amazed by Syd, and this isn't bragging.  I often find him reading his Bible in his room.  Today I walked in to find him laying on his bed with his Bible over his face.  Another way to absorb the Word.

We took our boys to Six Flags Fiesta last week, and while Syd opted to do every rollercoaster in the park, Ben and I opted to do the log ride 3 times.  We enjoyed frozen lemonade together as we waited on Syd and Steve to finish their rides.  I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.  Even in what felt like unbearable heat, to know they were having such a good time made it worth it.

We were supposed to take the trip over Spring Break, but I just couldn't do it.  I think of how far I've come in two months and I know it's all Jesus.  I still have days I feel pretty blue, but I know He is carrying me and won't leave or forsake me.

I often feel inadequate as a parent.  I compare myself to other parents, which I know you shouldn't do.  I have a friend with ten beautiful children who are all homeschooled.  I imagine their lives to be happy and full of frolicking, living in a meticulous house and learning perfect lessons in an orderly way, all the while tending to their gentle goats.  Probably some or most of that is true.  Yet I know Jesus loves me and my family just as much and has just as many good things for us.

This has been such a rough season for me.  I find myself with little to do and little I want to do.  I know this too shall pass.  The boys and I are doing Meals on Wheels together and though the people on our route are shy, I pray for them and hope to get to know them a little.  I just couldn't find it in myself to volunteer at the hospital, for a few reasons.  Maybe in the fall.

But I look at my two boys, and I look at my husband, and I know I am so blessed, blessed beyond words.  So through the tears, I can thank God and rejoice, knowing that He already knows what is ahead, what is behind and what is going on in the present.

Behold, the LORD's hand is not
shortened,
That it cannot save;
Nor His ear heavy,
That it cannot hear.
Isaiah 59:1

The righteous shall be glad in the
LORD, and trust in Him.
And all the upright in heart shall glory.
Psalm 64:10