a renewed mind

"Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"  1 Corinthians 10:31.

Have you ever caught yourself having one of the those conversations that turns into gossip... the kind where you feel the need to describe another person in a negative light, but then put them in a positive light, as though that justifies it?

We all do it.  The Lord has really been cautioning me not only to speak words of life, encouragement, but to stir clear of any talk that could be construed as gossip.  I want to be the kind of friend who is trustworthy, like Jesus was when he walked on this earth.  Likewise, I don't want to be friends with people who make me wonder what they are saying about me when I'm not around, because they are constantly talking about others.  Women, we need to find a different way to bond.  Just saying...

These are lessons we learn in middle school.  At 42, I'm amazed I'm in relationships where it still goes on. I'm amazed at the insecurities we carry, even those who seem so firm in their identity in Christ, so amazingly gifted.

When I look at the times I'm most tempted to tear others down, it's because of some bitterness I need to deal with - whether it has to do with that person or not.  And you can recognize it in others who need to forgive.  There is something about them that makes you wary and uncomfortable to be around them.

One of the qualities I admire most about my husband Steve is his refusal to gossip.  Not that he doesn't think there are some good candidates out there to talk about.  He just won't do it.  It saves him a lot of heartache.  And he's been such a good role model for me to live with.  Not only does he refuse to gossip, he will defend, or put the best construction on the person in question's actions.  What a valuable characteristic of God to have.

As Christians, we must have renewed minds.  For me, that means focusing on what I'm called to do and giving thanks for my life.  Thinking on whatever is pure, lovely...when God wants to interrupt my thoughts He will...but the enemy does not enjoy the same privilege.  Don't allow him in.

There will always be people God puts in your path who will treat you unkindly, who will reject you, who will treat you as the embarrassing relative they don't want around. This goes on in spiritual families as well as the natural, sadly.  God recently told me when I was dealing with some rejection, "it's not that they are rejecting you as much as they just care more about themselves than you." That made me laugh.  That pretty much describes all of us.  Who of us outside of Jesus Christ always puts others before themselves? I certainly don't.

And you know what I've found?  I am thankful to God for the people He has put in my life to test my character. And I'm thankful for the friends I have who remind me who I am in Christ, no matter what.

I liked this quote from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers the other day:

"Make a determination to take no one seriously except God.  You may find that the first person you must be the most critical with, as being the greatest fraud you have ever known, is yourself."

Amen to that, Oswald.  Thanks for keeping it real.