My Hope

I sit on the beach, leaning against Jesus.  The music I hear is in my heart and it comes from His.  We watch the tide go out, and come in, and go out again.  I don't know how long we are sitting there, because time doesn't matter here.

I dig my toes into the sand and with each incoming and outgoing of the gentle tide, an oyster shell makes it's way through the wet pebbled sand.  It's surface is rough and worn to my touch; it's gray woven shell seems a million years and impossible and real all at once.  It's what I'm feeling.  Jesus smiles and takes it from my hand.  He loves everything He has created.  He runs his fingers along it's grooves.  I have tears in my eyes watching him because He is beauty; and He holds the oyster shell in his hand and tells it to open.

I rest my head on his shoulder and the weariness I feel is absorbed into the linen He's wearing.   He smells like the sea.  His hands are tan and scarred.  He pulls from the oyster a creamy white pearl; gorgeous, breathtaking.  He laughs with delight.  He rolls it around in the palm of His hand, over the scars. Then He hands it to me.  "This is you," he says.  I shake my head no.  "This is you," he says again.  "My pearl of great price.  I gave my all to secure you.  You are the Kingdom of God. You are the temple of My Spirit."  I bury my face in His robes, I am overwhelmed.  He is Love.  "Only believe," He says, "and have faith.  Rest.  Be still.  I am Your God.  I am the Beginning, and I am the End."

He stands up to go.  You are not going anywhere without me, I tell Him, standing up.  "I am always with you," He tells me.  He is gone and the pearl, the oyster remain in the sand where His footprints are traced and being pulled through the tide.  I put my feet in His footprints, I put the pearl in the palm of my hand.  I look up at the horizon above the sea.  I taste the tears on my face, and feel the wind of His angelic following.

I know He is with me.  I know He is.  My Hope.  My Glorious.  And He's coming back soon.

My hope is built 
On nothing less
than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.


When the mountains are falling
When the waters are rising
I shall be safe in You.


Though the nations are quaking
Every kingdom be shaken
Still I will rest in You.


When darkness seems to hide Your face
I rest on Your unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My Anchor holds within the veil.


-lyrics  from My Hope, Matt Redman