and this it how it goes

I have this verse hanging in my home and it's one I'm really trying to live out and teach my children.  Here's part of it, from the Message:

If being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends... (from Philippians 2)

Last spring Steve and I were at a healing conference in NW Austin and looked across a crowded sanctuary to see the pastor from the Fellowship at Plum Creek sitting a few rows away.  It was Jonathan, the pastor of the church that is literally a one-minute drive from our house.  Funny that we had all driven 60 miles to attend.  Coincidence? 

That weekend, pulled by the Holy Spirit, we decided to visit the church in Plum Creek.  We had visited before to worship with our friends who lead worship, but felt led to go again.

Let me tell you a little about this church.  After years at a mega-church, it's so completely different to worship and gather as a small body.  There are no lights turned down, and everybody knows your name. If they don't know your name, they will soon.  The atmosphere begs for authentic worship or none at all.  

We sing Passion songs, we sing camp songs, we sing whatever the Lord gives our leaders.  We pray for one another during the service,we gather around those who are experiencing trials and pray.  It's so great.  It makes me cry. No one is shy to come forward and kneel in prayer during worship.  The whole church is able to go on mission trips together with Jonathan leading them.  

We are loving getting to know the staff, and there is opportunity for growth as they seek both a new children's pastor and pastor of community.  Steve and I were both drawn to Jonathan, the pastor with Jesus eyes (thanks Rick Jacoby for that phrase) and a heart of humility, an openness to the Spirit of the Lord.   He's a hugger, a laugher, a normal guy.

During the service on Father's Day, a man stood up and shared a word from scripture and prayed for the church.  I knew from friends he was an interior designer who spends a lot of his time designing interiors in Florida beach homes, but more importantly is a man of God.  His wife and I have mutual friends and I prayed that we would become friends soon with them.  I knew we were supposed to be.  And not because I wanted him to give me some interior design help.  I know what you are thinking, gentle reader. 

Little did I know, Mr. "M." was asking his wife who we were.  She told him who we were, and he said, "that couple is supposed to be in ministry with us" and had some specific vision.  They hear from the Lord, and come from the Antioch church in Waco via Hope in the City.  In fact, at one time we probably all worshipped in the same Austin High gym when the Stone was sharing space with Hope in the City.  Jesus craziness.

A few months passed, and God made it clear to Steve and I that we were being called away from the Austin Stone to Plum Creek.  Anyone who knows us well, will know how we wrestled with this, knowing how much we love the Austin Stone.  Our family has been so blessed there. Yet God continued to make it clear it was time to move, even if the reasons were not.

I mentioned to one friend how hard it would be to leave the Austin Stone, to leave the children's ministry for our children.  She reminded me of that ministry when it first began - it looked a lot like what our church in Plum Creek has now.  I still remember walking in the first Sunday we came to Fulmore Middle School for the Austin Stone's church, fresh from the creeks of Barton Springs.  We were met by eager college students who took our sons to join what was probably a kidstuff clientele of 12 little children.  And the Lord grew it and made it the vibrant, fruitful ministry it is now.  So I have a lot to pray towards in this regard in our new church, and good roots to compare it with.  I am so grateful for this.

On Father's day, Steve suggested we go back to the church we now affectionately refer to as "The Creek".   It felt like coming home.  We stayed after, visiting with several couples we knew.  They wanted to know why we were there again.  We answered, "We don't know.  We are seeing what the Lord has."  What more is there, really?  It felt like a blank slate, a new creation, a new challenge in prayer.  

Shortly after, M and his wife had us over and we've been meeting weekly as a life group with several other couples ever since.  We eat and laugh. We worship with old Vineyard and the occasional 90's worship album from the M's library. And we pray.  

We pray for a stirring of the Holy Spirit in our neighborhood.  We pray that as dead and burnt as this grass is that covers the hills around us now, God would bring new life to Kyle.  That He would send His rain to fall and replenish and restore and revive.  Plum Creek is home for many artistic, funny, and gentle people whose hearts I'm praying for.  We have a specific list of 10 people we are praying for in our area and already seeing some breakthrough.  Praise the Lord!

This is where I find refuge, here under the big open sky with the amazing night display of stars, the rolling landscape, the 20 minute drive for BBQ in Lockhart.  (That last one would be Steve's refuge.)  It's been a whirlwind year and this summer has been a much needed stay-at-home vacation.  Kyle is home and the place I feel like I'm living as a grown-up.  Although I'm in Austin weekly and I love the city I grew up in, I'm always happy to return to Plum Creek.  My Green Gables.  (Stop laughing.)  A place where my girlfriends and I kidnap one another and go to the local Starbucks to commiserate with and encourage one another.  

I listened to one of Louie Giglio's podcasts a while ago, and he shared a scripture from Isaiah 28:16.  From it, we know the Lord is our tried and true Cornerstone and we don't have to act hastily.  It gives me a lot of comfort.  

Last Sunday I had a vision of an acrobat going from ring to ring, and it's a little how I feel in my spirit right now.  I have one ring in hand and am reaching out for the other, not really sure where or when I'll grab hold, but it always comes.  It always has.  The path in front of us illuminated only for where we need to go next.

We are planning and praying for some things in the fall, plans we hope the Lord will bless and use mightily in our community, in our city.  More to come on that later...

The heavens declare the glory of God,
And the firmament shows His
handiwork.
Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals
knowledge.
There is no speech nor language
Where their voice is not heard.

The statutes of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is
pure, enlightening the eyes;

Psalm 19: 1-2, 8 (NKJV)