helping the morning

A woman I admire and am very grateful to have as a friend sent this poem in the mail to me today.  On a day when I was fighting my own personal demons, it was balm to my soul.

I thought you might like to read it, too.

Helping the Morning

After the graveside, after the ride home, after
a winter of drought, the chain
and padlock on my heart,

morning shows up at my bedside,
almost too late, like a big sister
holding a glass of water

and I drink, glancing through the window
at the tiny red barn flung
into the lap of the brown valley below.

I am amazed at the silent, terrible wonder
of my health.  I am giddy at the lack of war.
I want to help in the morning.

I pray the bedpost, the windowpanes.
I put our children on two doorknobs,
our sick friends in mirrors.

Like the aperature of a camera, the morning opens
and keeps opening until the room is filled
with rosy light and I could believe

anything: that grass might turn green again,
that cloud the size of my hand
might swell, might drift in, bringing rain.

by Jeanne Murray Walker