and a friend will not say never...

Last weekend we went to visit some old friends, D. and L.  I've known D. since high school and L. since they were dating.  They have kids around the sames ages as our boys, and lots of chickens and cats and some sort of Nutella type creatures roaming their yard at twilight.  Or was it Nutri?  Thieving varmits the local police will shoot at as practice.  At least this is what I took away.

It's great having friends you have a history with.  We have been camping with them and attacked viciously by fire ants and the hot sun.  I remember sleeping under the stars in a folding chair on one trip because it was too hot in the pup tent Steve and I shared.  Putting a canoe into water that was about a foot deep.  Things like that.

On one visit to see our friends, Steve became violently ill a few hours into the visit and lay down in one of their bedrooms.  We left after he puked his guts out.  Another time we were all at a lavender farm seemingly having a peaceful time, until one of their kids fell out of a tree and broke a limb of their own.  We have had some calamitous times together.

But we always laugh hard (when we can) and talk a lot about books.  Especially L. who I think may or may not read about 20 books a week.  I enjoy watching our tween and teen children interact, personalities emerging over games of Chit Chat, as they have to answer random questions like what celebrity would you like to meet?  (answer: myself) or what is your favorite sitcom? (answer: what? sitcom?) It doesn't seem that long ago that they were babies being sat up by each other at birthday parties.

It's good to have friends who have known you through happy and sad times, friends that will be much more than a face on facebook over the years.  Who listen and who love.  Who will cook you chicken fajitas and let you just stir the beans. D. and L. are such special people. 

We went to their church on Sunday; our family sitting in the pew behind theirs.  I had to restrain myself from whispering witty remarks (or so I thought)  over their shoulders as though I was still in high school. As we sang "Blessed be the Name," a song many of you know, I was thankful for these friends the Lord has given, and not taken away from us.  Here's to you, D. and L.!