oh how He loves us

My cheek is pressed against His linen-covered back and we are riding through the woods on His white horse, whose hooves are dusty from the miles but whose body shimmers with muscle and glory.   The path is shadowed and low-hanging branches tear and scratch at our faces, our backs as we move quickly down it.  They want to hurt, to bleed.

"Jesus get me out of here," I whisper.

He is jealous for me.

He yells and his loyal horse takes off at a speed that takes my breath away.  We are going down a path I can't make out but I see the brightening of a treeline giving way to the sea and we are at it's shore, glorious wind flying sand through the air.

The horse does not relent as the sea approaches fast and our King swiftly gives a command, raising a hand in the air.  I open my eyes and there are horseback warriors running alongside us, galloping now and whooping in joy.  HE looks back at me, the one who is FAITHFUL AND TRUE, His eyes fire.  His cheek is tan and strong and He smiles at me.  It's the look that has daggered His heart to mine inextricably.

The sea surges and is pushed apart under the pounding hooves as we go further into it's depths. The saltwater stings my eyes and His hair whips against my cheek in the wind.  There is no where else I want to be, then to be riding on the back of His horse. The atmosphere can not help but change to His mood, and the dark storm clouds keep time with His speed, backlit with angelic warmth.  The skies testify of His power, as thunder crashes and lightning dances along the white crest of the slated waves.

A creature rises up from the sea alongside us, wanting to wound. I open my mouth to tell Jesus, but of course He already knows.  His gaze is straight ahead as He points an accusing finger in it's direction.  It howls like a wounded animal and is swallowed up by the sea.  Jesus laughs.  

How He loves us.

He reaches back with a piece of leather and ties my wrist to his; and we hold onto the mane of His horse together as we go up over the water and into the silver and fire lit skies.  There are a million lights and there are no lights.  I have no idea how fast we are travelling, but I know this: He has kept His promise to get me out of here.

Oh how He loves us.