just wondering.

I'm watching Ben in the rearview mirror as I drive the boys to school.  Tears are forming in his eyes.  He has just realized Syd is not going to school today (no matter that he is sitting next to Syd, who is dressed in sweats with a kleenex stuck up his nose.)  

Ben loves his brother.  A LOT.  He adores him.  One of the highlights of Ben's day is getting to school early and running to the tether ball set, where he and Syd can get a good ten minutes in before the day starts.  I love watching them run together, Syd's track stride slowing down for Ben's football trot.  Ben never has made it into the classroom with his shirt fully tucked in.  It's just not possible.

Today Syd and I watch Ben from the car, as he starts towards the tether ball, then stops, realizing he will be alone.  It's painful.  Instead he turns shyly towards a group of kids playing foursquare.  My heart hurts for him.  Syd's heart hurts for him.  I know it's good for him, but it still hurts to watch the sad look on his face.  

When one hurts in your family, you all hurt.  When one of you is celebrating, you all celebrate. I'm so blessed to have a family that truly embraces this.

It makes me wonder, does your church family act in the same way?  When one hurts, do we all hurt?  When one celebrates, do we all celebrate?  Not too many churches can say they are this authentic.  Is relationship important in your church?  Or has it been overtaken by mission?
How many of us can say our mission flows out of our love for Jesus, for one another?

Just wondering.