a conversation over lunch

The other day we were having a late lunch at County Line on the Hill with our boys. "This is where we had our wedding rehearsal dinner, almost 20 years ago," I told them, as we looked out over the hills of Austin.

They weren't impressed with that knowledge, even after I explained who comes to the rehearsal dinner and how everyone makes toasts to the bride and groom.

"Then 8 years later, you came along," Steve said to Syd.

"No, I've been here recently," Syd replied.

"One of the things I liked about your dad when I met him was that he wouldn't play any games," I said.

"What kind of games?" asked Syd.

"Are you comparing me to Rudolph?" said Steve.

The conversation continued to quicky deteriorate. "You know, the kinds of games girls like to play."

"Hopscotch? Four square?" said Ben.

"NO. Like...trying to get my own way all the time, messing with his head..."

"What are you talking about?" said Syd.

"When I grow up and be an adventurer, I'm going to find the 2 million dollar kiss," said Ben.

(What???)

"Rudolph wouldn't join in any reindeer games," said Steve.

"You know what? I'm not talking to you people anymore. Just eat your food."