He keeps us

I've been reading Andrew Murray's Absolute Surrender as part of our prayer vision group. Something he said in the beginning of the book struck me and I've been sharing it with some others. It's a pretty simple truth, but brought me a lot of comfort. I pray it for myself, for this generation.

"People say: 'I have often been stirred at a meeting, or at a convention, and I have consecrated myself to God, but it has passed away. I know it may last for a week or for a month, but away it fades, and after a time it is all gone.' But listen! It is because you do not believe what I am now going to tell you and remind you of. When God has begun the work of absolute surrender in you, and when God has accepted your surrender then God holds Himself bound to care for it and to keep it. Will you believe that? ...Do you not believe that He can keep you continually, day by day, moment by moment?"

Reading that really resonated with me, the whole idea of Him "keeping" us. When we are lost, He finds us. He keeps us. I think we forget that. We can forget the simple truth that everything revolves around His love, that He is love, that He always keeps us. We may stray, but He hasn't forgotten we have surrendered to Him. He still keeps us. There is a lot of comfort in that.