we stand and lift up our hands


I've been reading the students comments about Passion Atlanta on the 268 blog, and it's overwhelming. It's overwhelming to know what God did in their hearts and I'm realizing I just have no words to tell you what I experienced about that. That's why you are hearing instead about airports and lice and me crying alone. Here's a picture from the 268 blog; if you haven't gone there and read the reports and looked at the pictures, you need to.

But for all of you who have prayed for these students and weren't there, for all of you who wanted so much to be there and couldn't, I want to be faithful and tell as much as I can about what God did, from my limited perspective.

I woke up this morning thinking of the students that were in Atlanta. Several times during the weekend, I just watched them. I walked around outside as they camped outside the doors, praying for their hearts. I smiled at them as they came run-walking into the arena, more than a few smiling back and giving me a thumbs up. I watched them in the arena as they worshipped, as they prayed, as they listened. I prayed hard for one I knew who was lost. I don't know when I'll ever have the chance to pray on-site for so many students at once again, and I just wanted to take in every moment. I just love them. And I'm praying today that they are holding fast to the hope, the joy, the fire God put in their hearts. That when the voice of the enemy comes and whispers that it wasn't real, or as trials come, as loneliness comes, they could quickly turn and call out to their Savior.

Therefore the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he had removed it), and plunged into the sea. John 21:7

Friday night before the session began, the intercessors were praying hard for the joy of the Lord
to be their strength. For that abandonment, that freedom and rescue that only comes from knowing Jesus Christ. And there was great joy in that city. Acts 8:8 For God to start firestorms on their campuses through them. The intercessors were gathered in the party suite of the arena, re-named the prayer party suite; a glassed-in room that looked out over the arena, enabling us to worship with the students and then pray as Louie or Francis spoke.

More than anything, I felt led to pray for their joy. Over and over, our prayers were consistently about this. And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. Acts 13:52. As Chris led the students in worship with "The Joy of the Lord is Our Strength" I prayed God would seal that in their hearts and put flesh on their worship. That everything they did after this weekend would be a beautiful reflection of the joy He had put in their hearts. As Christy Nockels led worship with Hosanna, the intercessors prayer became "Save Now!" The sweet urgent prayer that God put on our hearts as we knew in this crowd of almost 10,000 there were those who were having a first encounter with the Living God.

At the end of Louie's talk, he led the students in a silent prayer time and the knowledge of the Holy Spirit doing a powerful work in the place was tangible. After moments of silence, Louie spoke and said he felt led to ask hands to be raised in acknowledgement of what God was doing. That this was not part of "the thing", that he hadn't done this at the other regionals, but as God led, he was saying it now. For those accepting Jesus as their Savior, to acknowledge that by raising their hand. It wasn't an altar call or a re-dedication, but a simple gesture of faith.

As I looked out into the crowd before me, I saw one hand raised maybe 30 feet in front of me, the only one I could see in the darkness punctuated by the soft arena lighting. I prayed for that hand and the person connected to it. Lord, you make all things new, thank you. If this was the only hand raised in the arena, this would all be worth it. Thank you.

I can still see that hand in my mind's eye, just one of the many images that I took home with me and am so grateful and humbled once again that God would use us to bring others close to Him.

We stand and lift up our hands
For the joy of the Lord is our strength
We bow down and worship Him now
How great, how awesome is He
And together we sing
Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with His glory
Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with His glory
The earth is filled with His glory

We stand and lift up our hands
For the joy of the Lord is our strength
We bow down and worship Him now
How great, how awesome is He

And together we sing
Everyone sing

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with His glory
Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with His glory
The earth is filled with His glory

It's rising up all around
It's the anthem of the Lord's renown
It's rising up all around
It's the anthem of the Lord's renown

And together we sing
And everyone sing

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with his glory
Holy is the Lord God Almighty
The earth is filled with his glory

Holy is the Lord, Chris Tomlin