the twelve days of christmas

In an unending quest to bless my husband with kooky love, I decided this year I would give him twelve presents for the twelve days leading up to Christmas Eve. Is this right? Is this even the twelve days of Christmas? Who really cares?

So today I start, if my math is right, and it's probably not. I'm giving him the Office, season 3. There are few things I enjoy more than watching Steve laugh. And since this is about him, few things that make Steve laugh hard as does the Office. Probably all those years at Dell Computer. And it's really all I can do after Steve took me and the boys to see Enchanted... which I really believe could be the best movie ever, except for the Sound of Music.

Enchanted made me want to jump up out of my theater seat and proclaim the return of Jesus and True Love's kiss. If you haven't seen it, please do. Was it all the sweet tarts I'd eaten or is it just that I'm so in love with Jesus that I find Him everywhere? Surely the latter. We are the princess dancing in her bridal dress cleaning out the apartment with the help of forest creatures. And Jesus surely sings over you.

After 18 years of marriage, kooky love does have it's lingering qualities. I came home the other day to see that Steve had hung up my poster of Hanson in the garage, which was a gift from our worship band at my church, in appreciation for... my intercession? my love for Hanson? Not sure, but it's beautiful and I love that they gave it to me. It made me laugh that Steve hung it up. And it makes me laugh every day when I pull out of the garage.

The next day what should appear alongside it but an autographed plaque of Troy Aikman my office staff gave me when Troy was Super Bowl XXVII MVP. Don't even think about coming to my house and stealing it. At the time, my little office had become the place for Troy Aikman memorabilia in our company, which led to the paper salesman assuming I was single and asking me out. Somewhat embarrassed and a little bit flattered, I took it all down and put the plaque in a box, but Steve remembered 15 years later where it was.


The next day, a full size poster of Steve and his basketball team from high school appeared on the garage wall, and not surprisingly, looking not too different from the Hanson crew. Except for the girl on the team. Actually, she looks like them as well. Yes, soon, all in Plum Creek will stop not only to see our amazing strand of Christmas lights, but our garage wall as well.