on the 9th day

Today I was at Fiesta Mart, a grocery store full of Latin American delights just east of I-35. I was scouting out some Mexican Wedding Cookies my mom loves, and did not find them, but found many other treats, thanks to Syd and Ben.

As we checked out and the woman working scanned my groceries with her limp and braced right hand, she waved a manager over and began to tell him how she had an issue with having a busy line and no one to bag groceries. Syd was next to me, nudging me and holding back a laugh. I think he knew what was coming. It killed me to watch her scan my groceries and I was glad when the manager began to bag them even as I was about to.

I told her I would pray for her hand and asked her what was wrong with it. She said she'd been in a car accident in 2005 and had torn tendons in her hand that needed to straighten out. I noticed her face had muscle damage as she talked. I told her God could surely heal her and I would pray just that. I told her that twice. She looked at me with that deer in the headlights look I'm getting used to receiving from grocery store employees and said thank you. Her name is Yuanna if you want to pray for her too. I know I'll be back there.

9th day gift: Running socks, but I think the best present I can give Steve today is to be present in our home... last night we had a lively advent karaoke session with the boys... tonight we'll be making shortbread for their beloved teachers at City School.