the boys of summer

Summer is coming to a close and probably not a moment too soon at the Smith house. As I work in the other room, I hear Ben and Syd talking like babies. "No, I'm a baby!" Laughter.


"What did you say?" "I'm a baby!" It goes on and on. I go into the living room to see that they are watching the movie Narnia with the sound muted and are filling in the voices. They think this is hilarious, especially because of their genius baby voices.


"Why don't you watch it with the sound on for a while - you are driving me crazy." Okay, okay they say. I leave the room and in a little while I hear fake little girl screams. "Waa-aah!" "Oh noooo!" I glance back in and now they are watching in slow motion a scene where Lucy and Susan are screaming by the riverside. The sound is still off.

Yeah, it's time for school to start. Although I know when August 29th arrives, I will miss their presence greatly. I love to get up early and look in on them as they sleep in, usually crammed in one bunk bed, someone's hand resting on someone else's face, like two little puppies.

A few other memorable moments: Fishing off the pier in Plum Creek. Still yet to catch anything other than seaweed, but we continue to hope and pray. Ben seems to be fishing towards the gravel path leading to the pier. Might be part of the problem.



Ben in Port Aransas.










Ben with his kindergarten teacher, the lovely Mrs. Bates, on the last day of school. Many tears of joy were shed that day.












Syd with buddy John Murchison pre-baptism.