the rock who is crazy for the Cornerstone

I loved Matt's sermon yesterday, about the "sin of the drawn sword" - referring to Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane. How we step out from under God's authority and try to take control of the situation.

You have to just love Peter. As Matt said, he was probably thinking about what he did years later and just wishing he had that moment back of cutting off the slave's ear. I think Peter realized he had done the wrong thing as soon as Jesus healed the man's ear. I can so relate, as I watch Jesus step in and fix the wrongs I have done over and over. It's that, "Man! I did the wrong thing again!" feeling that keeps us in check, in humility. Jesus is the Healer, the Restorer, the Merciful God who brings us to our knees.

In those days leading up to the crucifixion, when the joyful crowds of Jesus worshippers filled the streets of Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, I wonder how many of them discussed Jesus and his disciples over the dinner table. You know they did. I can just imagine the comments on Peter. "Did you see that one guy? The one who had that wild glint in his eye? What was his name? Peter?" "Yeah, I saw him, but I decided John was more approachable and talked to him for a little while."


You know Peter was the one staring down the crowds when Jesus performed miracles, looking for that one person who was going to try to start some trouble. He was going to be right there in the mix for sure.

And I think about how Peter betrayed Jesus. Was Peter offended, so brokenhearted, that Jesus did not want his protection in the garden? Did his heart become jaded in those moments, as he said over and over and over again, "yeah, I don't know that dude. I'm done with him." Of course we won't know all that went on until Jesus comes back, but I think Jesus tried to comfort Peter after he healed the slave's ear. But I wonder if Peter could not deal with the soon to be reality of seeing Jesus tortured and killed, that his love for Jesus just so overwhelmed him. What he had not seen with spiritual eyes before he drew his sword, he surely saw afterwards. Talk about fear, talk about darkness descending, they were so living it. And only Jesus was strong enough to endure it.

And I think about those times when oppression lies on my chest like a heavy weight, knowing the enemy is not here to just mess with us, but to bring total death and destruction. Last night in our service I was praying for all the people I know right now dealing with cancer, and there are at least six I know about in our church. These words in the song we were singing, Uncreated One, really struck me: Sustainer of the universe, by the power of Your word.

God did not only create the universe with His spoken word, but He sustains it. He alone sustains it with His word. In my dictionary, sustain means to keep up, to hold, endure, keep alive, confirm. To provide sustenance, food. How many times when I have felt the enemy pressing in have I flung open His word and just started reading what was in front of me? He is our sustainer. How many times because of the tears that cloud my vision have I just held my Bible tight and said I know Jesus loves me? That He is in control. He does sustain with His word.

I am the LORD your God,

Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
Psalm 81:10 (NKJV)