day four. take time to wonder.

I like this, from Pete Greig in his book, "Dirty Glory".

The vision is Jesus. Everything else is secondary - even the mission is less important than the man. Actually I hate evangelism, and so do most of my friends and every non-Christian I've ever met. But because I'm into Jesus, I talk about him a fair bit, in that way you do when you really like someone and you no longer care who knows it, or the way you do when you've seen an incredible movie and you want - you need - all your friends to experience it too. ...But please don't tag me as some kind of swivel-eyed, radicalized zealot.  I'm just not that brave or sure."

Well said, Pete Greig.

Steve came home the other day and told me he wants to take an upholstery class.  We have a great old recliner we've been meaning to have reupholstered for some years.  He thought this could be a new hobby, or even a way to make a little money on the side if he got good enough at it. 

But in my pursuit to know Jesus more, to free myself of brokenness, I said to Steve what if.  What if when he developed a skill, we used our connections to the poorest areas of Kyle and Austin to reupholster pieces for those who really need some beauty in their homes?

The Lord gave me a vision.  Of broken, musty old furniture.  Of sitting down with tired, broken people and hearing what beauty looks like to them.  Of picking out really great material, listening to what would be special to them and why. Of giving them something tangible they can point to that is the heart of Jesus.  Even if it's just one piece of furniture.

I will always forever be about Jesus.

"The vision is Jesus. Not Christianity. Not prayer, mission, and justice.  Not worship-leading or church-planting or evangelism.  If you love Jesus you'll do that stuff...But in doing all those things, don't lose the why, don't get lost in the crowd."  Pete Greig, Dirty Glory