worth fighting for

The other day on Facebook I posted a mention of a worship leader who had joined forces with an amazing group of worship leaders.  Worship leaders who are writing the songs sung by almost every Christian church that would use more than just hymns in their services.  Many associate songs with the artist that sings them, but if you search for who the song is written by, very few times is it actually written by the popular artist singing it. 

This group of songwriters write a wealth of songs for the church.  The church they are associated with is controversial.  But as we are both saint and sinner alike, I know of very few who judge the pure songs coming out the hearts there, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Moments after posting this, one of my not-so-distant relatives shared a link in reply as they felt the group I was referring to is out and out "blaspheming the Holy Spirit."  That's a pretty serious accusation within the church.  You would have to know exactly what they believe, not just what the media reports or quotes the church as saying.  I didn't read the link they posted because I have heard it all before.  And I have met the leaders of that church, have prayed with their prayer team.  They are the real deal.  Unless Jesus tells me otherwise with a loud blow of his horn, I'm okay with them.

Anyway, I dismissed their comment by way of saying I don't debate theology on Facebook, and that I didn't have a problem with them.  I really don't think Facebook is the forum to confront people, or to teach theology.  I may link my blog there for the five people who read it via Facebook; but it's rare for me to hold forth on Facebook.  That's just me.

My lack of care about their comments gained me this post on my wall:  the "jesus" you worship is not the Jesus I worship.  And then they unfriended me.

At first I was a little shocked.  And then I laughed.  I prayed for eyes to see what was really going on. They are young, and going through a really hard time at the moment.  Unfriending people on Facebook is something you can tangibly control in a time where there are hard things going on you can't control. I get that.  I've done that. And I remember what it's like to be young and righteous and so sure your way is the only way.  Quick to anger, quick to judge, quick to fight.  That led me to a whole lot of heartbreak when I was younger.  But some of us have to learn the hard way.

I wanted to reply to their comment about the "jesus" I worship not being the Jesus they worship.  I wanted to say "Wow, He will be surprised to learn that!"  But I didn't.

This is the danger of acting in anger (especially if you are one who wants to lead and teach those about Jesus).  You are in dangerous territory of leaving the side of the One who knows most about love and acceptance.  You are going into uncharted waters alone, without Him by your side.  You are casting judgment over love.  And that is never what Jesus (lowercase or uppercase) is about.  He teaches us that judgment alone is his.  So if you believe in Jesus, you need to believe that as well.  Also, Jesus does not need defending.  He defends himself.

I thought about trying to talk to this relative, but I realized it would do little good, and probably more harm than any good at all!  I prayed for them, and let it go.  It's so easy to be offended and hurt by those who are offended and hurting.  It's so much better to focus on what you are put here on earth to do, than to spend energy on unforgiveness and offense.

Shortly after that little event,  Steve and I were given another opportunity to be hurt by family, details being left out here. It was hurtful, disrespectful, especially to Steve.  Disappointing to all of us.  Leaving us to wonder what had happened and having no answers.

I really believe in letting people know how you feel in these situations. So the next time I see this family, I will be fine with sharing my feelings.  I can't control how they respond, and that's okay, but I can at least share how I feel and move on.

Sometimes navigating family is like navigating mine fields.  And I have found it's best to be forthcoming and share feelings rather than to sit on them.  So much healthier.  If you are like me and try to eat your feelings, you will be happy to find yourself not in the pantry in those moments but asleep in your bed. 

But there are also times to talk to Jesus about how you feel, and drop it.  I'm a HUGE believer in Jesus as my defender, my vindicator - and so I'm pretty good with just talking to him when I feel wronged.  He has never let me down, and never will.  Every action has consequences, whether we get to see it or not.

Take a deep breath if you find yourself in these moments of offense, or hurt.  Speak your piece in love, or don't speak at all.  But don't let it steal away the precious time you have here on earth, to do whatever it is you're called to do on this earth.  Life is too short.

I know I have been called to pray, to write, but most of all, to love.  It doesn't mean I don't hurt.  Or get angry.  Or sense extreme disappointment and sadness at the hand of others. 

But when I refuse to give those feelings a wide place in me, I have so much more room for the possibilities placed before me by God.  Possibilities that make a difference, that affect the air in the atmosphere around me.

That, is worth fighting for. The other stuff, not at all.