the year of mercy

While I haven't watched or read everything that Pope Francis did while in the United States,  I've watched brief summaries of his time on ABC World News Tonight with David Muir.  Everyone in my family likes David Muir's hair, or really, we are all amazed by it.

But Pope Francis, we have deep love for.  I am so grateful for this man of God who is representing the heart of God so well.  And the more humble he is shown to be, orthopedic shoes and all, the more people seem to treat him like a rock star.  He is mobbed and applauded, all while trying to keep his Zucchetto in place on his head.

Here is a man who cries with those who cry.  Who, in a time of judgment and religious turmoil, can simply say "God weeps" and the world seems to stop and listen, and we all have a little more hope.  A man who when asked why he stopped a long and heavily secured procession to hug a disabled boy, replies that he sensed he was in the crowd.  That's not psychic ability or fabrication.  That's the spirit of God moving compassionately through a holy man who is listening to the whispers of God.

I don't believe everything the Catholic church believes, but I am on board for the year of mercy.  I want to see a tidal wave of hope that will be created by a leader who loves and is not afraid to rock the boat.  I am so encouraged by his example.

So many of us in the church will pardon all those around us except for other Christians.  Or maybe we will pardon the ones who have sins we are okay with.  But what about the ones who have really fallen hard, whose sin is so ugly to us, the ones we have trusted and been betrayed by.  Oh, we may forgive but our guard stays up.  The chance of reconciliation small because we want it to be small.

Sin is sin.

Maybe we believe that to do what they did most really mean they have some horrible character flaw, some deep-seated personality trait that will always prevail.  Or is it just sin?  And/or is the enemy just really having his way to create isolation, and to stifle callings and gifts?  I believe so many who have fallen, have now been restored by the love of Jesus, only to still be rejected in His church. What is that if not pharisaical?  It breaks His heart.

The difference to me between grace and mercy is that mercy is defined by not getting what you deserve.  Grace is getting something you don't deserve.

Lamentations 3:22 is the verse that feels woven into my soul:

Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new
every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.  "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" 

Part of my email address, riveromercy, doesn't come from who I think I am, or as some Austinites have pointed out, a cool band name.  "Hey, are you a singer?"  "Hey, no I am not."  It comes from the river of mercy the love of Jesus has been to me.

Some of the most special times of ministry I have ever experienced are praying for college students and sensing what the Lord is saying to them, and watching them go from sad to broken to weeping and then to Jesus and hope.  I'm drawn to people who have a deep relationship with the Lord, but who also just love people.  For who they are.  Thank you Pope Francis, for being one of those people.