God with us

The night we returned from the beach after celebrating Thanksgiving, Steve and I drove over to the Home Depot to get a Christmas tree.  As we pulled up, we saw the different size and types of trees displayed in front of the garden center.  We decided on a 7-8 foot Frasier fir, but when we walked in to the garden area we were overwhelmed by the number of trees, all stacked against each other, organized by size.

We were tired from the trip but determined to find the right tree.  We looked through the stacks, and found some already brown trees. Discouraging.  But as we passed by the bin for the 5-6 foot Frasier firs, a little tree caught Steve's eye.  "How about this one?" he asked me.  It was about my height and shaped perfectly. It cost $20.00.  "That's the one," I replied.

We brought it home and found it seemed smaller than before.  But still beautiful.  A humble little tree.  Everytime I look at it's beauty and small size, I'm reminded of my own weaknesses.  How little I feel when facing life's big problems.  How when I am weak, He is strong.

A few weeks ago we went to visit my brother in prison.  It was so good to see him.  We talked and laughed, and honestly didn't talk about anything serious.  This past year has been hard work, to fight the depression, to begin to work, and to remain in a place of trusting my Savior most of all.  So it was good to visit and not have to discuss the hard times we have both faced this year.  Laughter is healing, along with a good chocolate pie from the vending machine.

We spent Thanksgiving with my brother's family.  My mom mentioned to his wife that this will be their last Thanksgiving without my brother.  She sat wordless at the table, her grief palpable.  It's these bittersweet moments this holiday season brings, knowing he'll be home soon.  I'm missing my brother, grieving all that I have lost the past few years with him gone.  The void of his presence at family gatherings.  His guitar playing. The inside jokes we share.

But in my grief, I look to the Brother who has walked alongside me all the way.  He has sat at the end of piers with me, the water underneath our feet, His arm always around me.  His presence is perfect and only brings healing.

His name is Emmanuel, God with us.