conversation #2

I had to take our car in for service the other day and got a ride back home from the dealership.  A young man, who I'll call B., was the driver of the van.  I felt prompted by God to talk about, well, God.  But I didn't do it.

"What do you do?" B. asks me.  He is a very polite, personable college student who goes to Texas State.

I tell him I'm mainly a mom, but work at a church temporarily.  "Nice," he says.  Pause.  "How do you get to work at a church?"

I tell him a little of my story, and then his comes spilling out.  How he recently gave his life to Jesus.  How he talks about Jesus to his friends but they aren't as enthusiastic.  How he's in a frat and not into the party scene anymore.

We talked about losing friends who didn't believe in Jesus.  He wanted to know if I had friends in college that came around.  I said some did, some didn't.  "Well, all you can do is pray," he tells me.  I had to smile. He's searching for a church, looking for community.  I tell him about the Austin Stone, wishing I knew of a closer church for San Marcos students.

He drops me off and I'm smiling.   B. is a reminder to me of why I love college students.  To see someone God has gotten a hold of and won't let go.  B. tells me that about himself.

Later when my car is ready, I get a ride again with B. back to the dealership.  We talk about dogs, but our talk soon turns back to Jesus.  And Revelations.  By the time he drops me off, he is in the middle of a an enthusiastic sermonette about the end of the world.  "I can't wait for it to happen.  He'll come riding in on that white horse.  It's going to be amazing, but terrifying as well.  Think of the power!"

I tell him I'll be praying for him to find a church.  And I have been.  "See you later," I say, feeling like I've known him longer than an hour.  I feel grateful for having met such a heart for Jesus.  And very encouraged by God.