to believe again

I went to a prayer ministry training last night, taught by one of my favorite people in the world, Janine Parrish.  She will soon be moving, and I wonder how many Austinites - Christians and alike - know what a gem we are losing with that move.  I was so thankful I got to be in on one of her last teachings on prayer here before she goes.

For those of you who don't know, it's been a long time since I've done anything with prayer ministry.  I went from leading intercession for college students at Passion and the Austin Stone to taking a long sabbatical as the Lord gently heals me of some lifelong wounds.

But it's time to pick it back up, at my own pace.  I'm not rushing off to any Passion conferences, although there's a part of me that would in a heartbeat.  I love the Passion people dearly.  But it's not where God has me.

Janine's words of why we pray for others brought back the joy of why I love it so much.  To know God's heart for others.  To bring others into His presence.  As I drove home in the dark listening to random worship music on the radio, one of my favorites came on, and it was just me and Jesus and an old farm road for a few precious moments.  He's all we will ever need.

I don't want to go back to the old, but pressing on to what's ahead.  I am very thankful for the sisters in Christ who have persevered for me in prayer and allowed me the freedom to take baby steps.  To know when to listen and when not to push.  For other friends that love me well and know my backstory. More names than I could list here.  I am amazed how the Lord weaves encouragement into our lives through our friends. When I look back over the journey of the last two years, I really am.  Amazed.  And really grateful.

My Aunt Dee wrote a book called "The Friendships of Women".   You may have heard of it.  It's an intriguing subject matter, no doubt.   She talks about friends you have for a season, and friends you have for a lifetime.  We all want to be lifetime friends, but the truth is, sometimes God just puts people into your life for a season.  I am very aware of that and thankful for the ones He has provided in this season.

And I'm so grateful that He is re-kindling a love in me for prayer ministry, one baby step at a time.  And if you see me in the front of my church during a prayer ministry time with a big smile on my face (or more likely tears in my eyes), now you'll know why.