the king and i

One of the things I have struggled with the most this past year is anxiety.  Whenever I'm in a place I can't leave (or think I can't leave), I become anxious.  So if you've had coffee, dinner or a movie with me you have maybe known this.  (Or not.)

It is getting better, thank you Lord.  I know I can leave places, but I don't want to.

Last weekend, Steve and I went to see "The King's Speech".  I already knew I would be anxious going into it but I refused to let it ruin our date.  Some movies make me more anxious than others.  Shrek in 3D nearly did me in.  But that might be true for a lot of people.

As "The King's Speech" unfolded, I relaxed.  As I saw a person on the screen struggling with something beyond his control, I relaxed.  I could relate to his stammering as I relate to my own anxiety...a battle of the mind.  I too have a caring, creative therapist who has made all the difference in the world.  I wish I like the king could take her around with me to difficult situations.

My therapist does push the envelope.  And I'm grateful.  I have pushed and stomped some emotions into a place where they've become trapped.  It's a relief to let them out in a safe place.  With someone who doesn't try to stop me from crying.  Some people view counseling as a precious moments time with laughter.  If you've been with a good therapist, you know it's more like blood and sweat.  And maybe some laughter thrown in between.

I was so excited by the King's triumph over his stammering in the movie, I told Steve we must go have a celebratory ice cream.  And I was so excited for myself to forget all anxiety during the movie, that I celebrated that too.  It takes a really great movie for that to happen.

Victory all around.