I will not fail you

"Mooomm," I hear a shaky voice coming from our doorway in the middle of the night.  It scares me awake; Ben sneaking into our room after having a scary dream.  Steve sleeps through it. Ben is a big kid, and for him to crawl into bed with us requires me to sleep like a mummy sandwiched between Ben and Steve.  But I know soon there will come a day he will not come into our room needing us.  I am thinking this at 3:40 a.m.  By 4:30 a.m. I am so hot, I just want him out of the bed.  So much for sentiment.

But I do think of the future.  I fear what it holds for them.  In less than two years Syd will probably go to a public high school, after being at a very small Christian school.  And I wonder where Ben will be spiritually by the time he goes to high school.  Will he be driving around in a pick-up, drinking beer with his buddies?  I was in high school once.  This is where my mind goes.  Scary.

I know Ben and Syd are the Lord's children, and ultimately it is the Lord who is leading them, guiding them into the future.  Guiding all of us who call Him Lord. I can rest in this.

Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.  Isaiah 43:18-19


I believe the calls on our lives are irrevocable.  But it doesn't always mean it will continue to look like it did before.  Am I willing to go there, to the unseen?  To the new things?

"I will not fail you," Jesus says.  Wherever we are on our spiritual journies, he will not fail us.

And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and boundaries of their dwelling place.  Acts 17:26  


It's no accident we were born in this generation.  We are called to this time.  Of that we can be sure.