On losing hair, root canals and snowballs

"It could be stress, your medication, or just being in your forties- hair begins to do weird things in your forties," my doctor tells me.  What kind of weird things? I wonder.  For me, the weird thing is that I'm losing hair.  A few weeks ago I had a meltdown about this, wondering if I would have any hair left or if a short haircut is in my future.  Even a wig.  This really freaked me out and I shed some tears.  But for someone who changes their haircolor as much as I do, a wig shouldn't really scare me.  Maybe some type of Pulp Fiction look is in order.

Since then, I've noticed that my hair loss is hardly noticeable and I'm back to blow drying my hair and straightening it when I want, not worried half of it will come out.  Honestly it made me think of women who go through cancer, losing hair, losing breasts.  How much worse it is for these women, how this effects them as women.  How almost every magazine cover has women with beautiful hair and breasts.

I had a root canal today and although I look forward to another golden tooth to flash, the expense is not ever fun.  Yet I praise the Lord for the most excellent endodontist in town, Dr. Eickenhorst.  I can thank God we have great dental coverage thanks to Steve's job.

The stress of being down to one car is beginning to hit me as I spend at least 2 hours in the car a day.  Yet I can thank God for that time alone with Him and pray for those he lays on my heart to pray for. And I can count the times KLOVE plays "I can only imagine."  Seriously, get over it, it's been like a decade already.

Last sunday an intercessor I trust prayed for me.  She used the word momentum for me and had a picture of a snowball rolling down a hill, getting bigger and picking up steam.  If that's me, it's Jesus in me.  He's one of those tightly packed snowballs that packs a punch and stings when it hits it's target.   That makes me smile.

A few weeks ago, the missionaries our church sends out came back en masse to our church during a special service.  Steve and I happened to be sitting behind the reserved seats, not realizing what was going to happen during the service.  I was having a hard time getting into the worship that morning, but as the missionaries filed into the sanctuary, I felt God's love for them, gentle as snow.  I began to cry, then to weep.  I wondered if I should go to the bathroom and get it out there, not wanting to make a scene on my row.  But as I bent over in my seat crying, I was so so glad God has still given me a heart for the nations, a heart for what He has for this generation.

There was a young girl in the row in front of me I recognized from Syd's class 2 years ago, when she attended City School.  Her family is about to go overseas once again.  She is beautiful, stunning really - and poised beyond her years.  The kind of gentle beauty that shines from within. I couldn't stop looking at her and praying for her.  I hugged her at the end of the service and told her I would keep praying for her.  Okay, I admit I also prayed her and Syd's paths would cross again.

In all this, my heart will chose to say, blessed is the One who gives and takes away.