don't give up

I was in the Kyle Starbucks today - I know, big surprise - and I was thinking of my brother, as I often do when I walk into a coffee shop, as he shares my love of the cappuccino. This Friday will mark one year he's been in prison. And it's looking like he has 3 more years to go. There's a sadness in that you can't really get around, you just have to go through. But I'm learning to set my mind on other things.

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Philippians 4:8,9 (the message)

My brother and I went to a coffee shop a few days after all hell broke loose in his life. He was repentant over what had happened, and starting to realize the serious damage done to his life, the lives of those he loved most. And he was living under condemnation that was almost palpable. The air around him was hard to breathe.

God made it really clear to me that I was going to be one of the ones displaying grace in his life, during those days, those moments. And I didn't look back, or question it. Looking back now, I wonder why I didn't scream at my brother. I could have disowned him. I could have given up on him. Mocked him.

Have you ever been in one of those situations, or relationships, where you just totally want to give up on the other person? I have. And then Jesus whispered, "I didn't give up on you." Seriously. He's said that to me a few times, and each time it has stopped me in my tracks and caused me to really evaluate my next step.

Jesus didn't give up on me. He has never given up on me. He could have so given up on me.

Doing a normal thing like having a cup of coffee and treating my brother as if his sin was forgiven (it was), and wiped away with no record (it was) spoke louder than any scripture I could have shared with him. Or any counselor I could have found for him. He desperately needed to know he was going to be okay. That his sister wanted to take him to the newest Italian coffee and gelato place and talk about coffee. Only Jesus can grant that kind of forgiveness. Only those intimate with the heart of Jesus can live that out. It's easy when you've been forgiven like that.

I remember looking at him and telling him, "You're going to be okay." He just sat at the table and nodded. I told him that the last time I saw him. I know he's suffering, his family is suffering. But they are all going to heaven. I hope it's later than sooner. But no matter what, he's going to be okay. They are going to be okay.

Is there someone you can give that kind of grace to?

When you really know Jesus, when you really get that he has emotion and he LIVED his emotion while he was here on earth, it pretty much ruins you for ordinary life. He laughed, he cried, he got hurt and rejected. He was mercy. He loves us so much.

But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me. Micah 7:7