1000 Sky-Rider Lane


Sing, O kings of the earth!
Sing praises to the Lord!
There he is: Sky-Rider,
striding the ancient skies.
Listen—he's calling in thunder,
rumbling, rolling thunder.

A terrible beauty, O God,
streams from your sanctuary.
It's Israel's strong God! He gives
power and might to his people!
O you, his people—bless God!

from Psalm 68 vs. 32,33,35, (the Message)

Pulling up to the Mueller Information Center, Steve and I continue our search for a new home. I look for something, anything that will make me want to call this abandoned airport acreage home.

The first thing I see are wide big colored panes of glass, with thundering gray skies framing them high in the building. I think of the Partridge Family bus. I think of David Cassidy. These are good things to think of.

"I think I love you....so what am I so afraid of? I'm afraid that I'm not sure of...a love there is no cure for.'' Thank you, David Cassidy. That song pretty much sums up how I feel for Austin. I want to love this city like God loves it, but there is fear...because can any of us really love like God loves? No we cannot. But He can do it through us. We just need to get on the bus.

There is something right about living at a place that used to be runways and control towers. This neighborhood is also bordered by Promiseland Church and the Austin Film buildings. Really, who else could you want for neighbors? And Sonny's wigs is just down the street on Airport. FYI, my spy friends.

So as Steve and I made the decision to put our house on the market, I realize now that it was the easy decision. The hard decision is where to move to in Austin. I love all of it.

One thing that has helped narrow the process some is street names. The street name we live on has to mean something. We found a house on a street called Camperdown, but it sounded too much like a state park tragedy to me. I also don't want to live on Kissing Oak or Lovebird Lane or Purple Mustang Way. This is not Barbie world, people.

At the old airport, we could live on Antone Street or Lawless Lane. I can't find Jesus Boulevard in Austin but maybe it's yet to be built. I'm a little disappointed this project doesn't have street names like Hangar One or Big Runway or Supersonic Jesus Jet.

In South Austin, we found a nice greenbelt lot in the Parkside at Slaughter Creek, whose name I like because of the oxymoron it is. I like the symbolism of living by a creek where animals were cleaned after their slaughter, the blood running into the water's current. I originally thought this creek was named that because of Native Americans being slaughtered there. Helpfully, I have an intelligent husband who knows which things are untrue that I believe to be knowledge, and keeps me from teaching our boys false history lessons most of the time.

Most of all, we really do want to be where God would have us in Austin. To seek that above all else. A neighborhood where we will share His love with our neighbors. The Mueller project appeals because of the mix of income levels and village environment. And I'm already thinking of how cool it would be to have a prayer meeting there. Maybe in the control tower?

Our house could sell before we have a new place to call home. It feels good to take risks, to walk in the unknown and to place our application into the lottery of the Mueller project. God has his hand on us, and we will land where He puts us. Home is where the heart is, and His heart encompasses all of Austin. That I know for sure. A love there is no cure for. Thank God we can't ever get over what He has done for us.