and there will be a tabernacle for shade

..and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. from Revelation 2:23 (nkjv)

Today I was reading the story of Jesus casting out the demon from the boy whose father had little faith. I couldn't get past these words from the mouth of Jesus:

"O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me." Mark 9:19 (nkjv)

Those words did something to my heart as I thought of Jesus speaking those words. It brought tears to my eyes. I thought of Jesus finding his disciples that day, the turmoil, the disunity in the church surrounding them as they probably tried to explain to the father, to those around, why this boy was still demon possessed. After all, Jesus had given them all authority to cast out demons.

Maybe you have been in a place where Jesus was out of sight, and the temporary suffering made you want to give in to the temptation placed before you. I'm talking about a time, a moment of faith when the flame is but a flicker and those around you are not encouraging but rather disputing what you believe.

And Jesus comes onto the scene, and he is shaking his head. Maybe you've acted on that temptation. And here is Jesus, his emotion evident as he says, "How long will I have to bear with you?" This kills me as I picture myself with my unbelief, yet at the same time asking him to do the impossible. How the father responded with "Lord, I believe, please help my unbelief."


I wonder if he originally intended to say all that he did, to add "help my unbelief." When we are in the presence of Jesus, can we confess truthfully, 'hey God, over here! I believe 100% in you!"? His unbelief was undeniable, and in the beautiful presence of Jesus, he turned to the only one who could give him more faith.

Then I continue on and read as Jesus tells his disciples that this type of demon only comes out by prayer and fasting. I stop again as my heart is grieved. Serious and intentional prayer and fasting is not a walk in the park. Perhaps that is why we see so little of it in our lives, in the church.

In the places that God is working speedily to bring healing and doing the amazing works that only He can do, you will always find serious and intentional prayer and fasting. Are you in one of those places? Is your church one of those places? Is your city? Dear God help our unbelief.

In Hebrews 12: 12-17 , we are told to strengthen weak and discouraged believers. To guard against temptation to turn back from following Jesus because of temporary suffering. To remain committed to the Lord.

...that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears. Hebrews 12:16-17 (esv)

That's a pretty sobering passage. I love that chapter 12 of Hebrews ends with "our God is a consuming fire." We must shake off the things that draw us in this world. We have a God that lives in us who IS a consuming fire. What on earth are we looking for?

You may have made choices that cannot be taken back. You may have lost blessings, and opportunities because of them. I know I have. Some of you are being tempted sorely because the enemy is so eager to see you fall and lose everything. Don't you know that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever? He smacked down the devil, and He has never lost sight of your heart.

And there will be a tabernacle for shade in the daytime from the heat, for a place of refuge, and for a shelter from storm and rain. Isaiah 4:6 (nkjv)

This wilderness road may be beating you down. Run, find the shelter of Jesus, the one who said "How long will I have to bear with you?" Fully knowing He would bear with us to the end, that he would go to hell and back for us. That is completion. That is unfailing love