red poppies from my father-in-law

My father-in-law Burge is one of my favorite people.  I often tell my friends to friend him on Facebook, for his funny cartoons and memes.  When you become his friend, he greets you with "welcome to my internet."  Not cuz he thinks he is Elon Musk, but because he is 87 and trying to deal.

About five years ago, he posted a lot of paintings on his page from the Sun City art show.  His retirement community is full of artists - skilled and unskilled alike.  One painting caught my eye and I asked, "How much? Would they take $25?"

Burge went to the artist and found out she wanted $250.00. I told him of course she did; it's a really beautiful painting of red poppies.  Every brush stroke intentional, every texture cutting an emotion.

About a month later Burge showed up at my house for Thanksgiving, with the painting under his arm.  He told me he was proud of me for my recent weight loss.  I was floored that he would buy it for me.  My father-in-law doesn't just have $250 laying around. That's like grocery money for the month.

I hung it in a spot in our living room where I can see it every day.

I gained back the weight I lost, and Burge didn't say anything. Of course he wouldn't.  Over the last few months I started my latest weight loss journey, and 25 pounds in he told me I was doing such a good job.

Burge taught grade school and coached baseball for many years. At age 82 he decided to start substitute teaching for extra money.  He is one of the most disciplined people I know, always on schedule for his gym work-outs or laps in the pool.  Steve and Syd inherited his love of working out.  

About a month ago Burge was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer.  

Oh. What do you do with that. 

My friends were surprised to learn I know only two people personally who have walked through cancer.  The chasm of ignorance we are trying to cross in leaps and bounds, as we understand treatment, finances, and navigating family conversations that can be fragile with emotion.

God has given me the best in-laws. People may look at me, at my family, and think we have coasted through in a Christian bubble.  Not so. There have been some real death and life moments. The faith of our fathers have helped to light the way when times have been really dark.

Red poppies sprouted up after World War II, in Belgium; a sign of hope after devastation and war. 

The taste of dirt in the trenches now is bitter and sweet. We persevere, and it is building our character. And  character produces hope. And hope doesn't disappoint, because this was never our true home. 

Thanking God His mercies are new every morning.  Great is His faithfulness.