light it up




Some of you know the story of how I came to work for the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Or TSLAC for short, as our government is fond of acronyms. Some of you are already done reading this post because I mentioned the word library.  But hold up. This job seemed to come out of the blue for me.  But if you know God, you know nothing is accidental.

I was at a really special baby shower today. I can't remember the last time I was at a baby shower, as I'm far from new motherhood. I was really praying we wouldn't have to play games.  We didn't.

This one was full of prayer warriors and world changers, given by the wife of a prominent leader in our fine state. As I talked to the new mom about whether she will work or stay at home, I was reminded of my own decision to be at home. I was six months pregnant and had only worked a year at K-EYE, but I knew what was coming in our family was more important than any career.  I left with tears in my eyes, but I never looked back.  And I'm so glad.

17 years later, with the boys needing me less, I decided it was time to go back to work. I was growing restless at home. I knew God wanted to get me out of my comfortable environs. At that time, I fell into the category of Christian women that stay at home, pray for one another, make soup for one another, do Beth Moore bible studies together.  Which is a really good life if you are called to it. I just wanted something else. Knew there was more I was supposed to do.

I thought it would be fun to get out, and work retail and took a job at the Gap next to Central Market in Austin. And see who I would encounter. A few weeks in, cleaning floors and bathrooms and folding clothes proved to be not fun.  And I worked with some very lost people who did not want to hear anything about God.  It broke my heart. After a few months, and after buying everyone in my family a new wardrobe, I felt peace about quitting. I spent the next few months wondering and praying about what was next.

I discovered Friday Night Lights during this time. I cannot tell you really what drew me to it. I think I liked Coach Taylor's passion to fight.  My days would look something like this during that time:

Breakfast. Walk. Quiet time. Several episodes of FNL. Lunch somewhere in there. Housework. Dinner.  Hey, anyone want to watch FNL?

I applied for only one job during that time, a job at TSLAC for the Talking Book Program of Texas.  If you had asked me how the job search was going during that time, I would have told you - "Great! So good!"  It is great to only apply for one job and then pray and wait for the phone to ring.  I would call this the low-pressure approach.

I kid you not.  After I had watched the last episode of the last season of Friday Night Lights, the phone rang.

"Are you still interested in the position you applied for two months ago?"  Why yes, I am.  In my heart I heard God telling me I hope you enjoyed your break.  Because you are about to get off the couch and go to work.

What do you wear to a library interview situated on our Capitol's grounds, that happens the next day?  Not Gap clothes. I went to Target and bought what I thought librarians wear - a black skirt, black flats, and black blazer.  Cheery kinds of things. I changed my nail polish from sparkly purple to pale pink.  Little did I know I would work with librarians with pink and blue hair, tattoos, piercings...my what a sheltered world I lived in.  Although I have had some pink hair here and there myself.

I got the job, and almost five years later, I am still working for the Talking Book Program.  I'm blessed to work at home some, and to review and be surrounded by books for a good part of my days. I'm blessed to be a part of team that wants to make a difference for people with disabilities. I do a lot of catalog clean-up which can be mindless, so I can use the time to pray.

I pray for family. I pray for the place I work. I pray for people reading this blog. For you. Yes you. I pray for whoever God brings to mind.  I pray for our government.  And today I was reminded I don't pray enough.

Sometimes God calls you to take a time-out.  But he is going to put you back into the game. Or into a new game.  But don't think he is ever going to let you to sit on the sidelines for very long. Just when I think he is done using me, that my life is just so-called, he puts people in my path who remind me of my calling.  We all have one.  Don't think you don't. You are a world changer. Don't give that away.

New year.  New beginnings. Clear eyes full heart can't lose.  Let's light it up.