ben: 16


Piano man.  Justice seeker.  Funniest guy I know.
16.
Happy Birthday, Benjamin Tate Smith!
 
 
Let's take a look back, shall we?
 
 
There was the Christmas when we thought this was a good idea. 
This almost got published in John Kelso's column in the Austin American-Statesman,
 but I think he had pity on you.
 
 
 
Cutest little wrangler we knew.
 
 
 
 
 
So the long-told story goes: Standing in front of the open fridge,
 "Grandma, you have a pickle or somethin'?"
You knew a good thing when you saw it.
 
 

Sibling love. 
I will never forget your little towhead, your sleepy cuddly self,
 that even Syd could not resist.
 
 
 


Because Ben and chicken. 
This one allowed squeezes.

 

 
The beginning of 16 years of laughter. 
24 pictures taken of you guys trying to get a great one for Christmas cards. 
Joy.
 
 
 

 
This is you at your toddler prime. Power tools in hand. 
Questionable gas mask.
Backpack and all-around fierceness. 
 
I have no doubt whatsoever that you will do great things, and
I love you with all my heart.