big bend: a photo essay


Our trip to Big Bend over spring break was fantastic.  I can't stop thinking about West Texas. And since my plan for most of my scrapbook making falls into the category of things I will do after getting my children into college, here are a few photos that I hope will intrigue and entertain.

"A thousand miles from nowhere.  Time don't matter to me. And there's no place I want to be." - Dwight Yoakum



Well, apparently after 10 hours from nowhere, we decided to stop for pizza in Alpine and draw tattoos on one another.  Thanks, Ben, for the anchor.


This is the glorious shanty we stayed in at Terlingua Ranch Lodge, with a glorious view of Terlingua.


The first morning we were up at the crack of dawn and I was taking pictures like a crazed woman, struck by the beauty of everything.  That's how I got this pic of this man trying to leave the Bad Rabbit café at our lodge.  It's one of my favorites I took.


Another view from our shanty.
 
 
We spent our first day in Marfa.  Artists love Marfa.  The light is amazing there, it really is. 
We spent a good chunk of time at the Chinati art museum. 
One artist there, now deceased, had spent a lot a lot of time building cement and steel squares.
 I don't know that climbing on them was allowed.
 
 
After a while we got bored with the squares.  And made our own art. 
I call it "Boy and Window, One and Two."

 


I loved Marfa. 
Steve almost got locked into this art gallery when our tour wound up. 
Apparently he was actually looking at the art.
But that's a story for later.
 



 
Then we had lots of tire problems. 
It was okay, it was all part of the adventure.  I kept smiling.


This is the blimp we use to communicate with our friends in Mexico. 
Something like that.



We took a little time out in Marfa to have his and her drinks, a prickly pear margarita and beer. Yum.


Syd doing his best "I'm James DeFranco eating nachos next to a teepee" impression.

 
Still going strong.  Growing closer with the realization we may be eaten by mountain lions soon in Big Bend.

 
Ahh, we have reached our glorious destination.  I don't know why Syd chose this trip to dress like the Great Gatsby taking a swim, but you'll see it throughout.

 
I thought this was a very artistic view I snapped in the Los Chisos region of the park.

 
I wanted a family photo in case one of us did not make it back from the hike.



They are a little disappointed at this point to have only seen a javelina on the trip. 
But make no mistake, we are having the time of our lives.
 
 
Brothers, friends, sparring partners.  Ben bought this stick to protect us.  I had my doubts.


Climbing to see the hieroglyphics on this rock formation. 


I really love the desert terrain.  A true wilderness. 
And the perfect place to eat a day-old cheeseburger.

 
Some Mexicans crossing the Rio Grande. 
I could have rode on one of their horses for a small amount of money.  Steve said no.


The Rio Grande.  So inviting.

 
Our beloved Texas state flower, the Bluebonnet.


On our path to the hot springs in the park, we encountered some amazing rock formations. 
First we had to drive on some roads that were eroding under our tires and gave us about an inch of clearance from sheer drop-offs.  Never a dull moment.


Steve and Syd in the hot springs.   And some real happy gal.


Our last day we hiked 4 different trails. 
Some ale from the Big Bend Brewing Company at the lodge was a great finish to our trip.


Amazing view from the lodge.
 
So long, Big Bend.  You have our hearts.  Thanks for letting us stay alive.  We will find you again.