it's your love that we adore, it's like a sea without a shore

 
The other day at work I was sitting at my desk listening to a podcast from Holy Trinity Brompton, a church in London I really like.  The vicar, Nicky Gumbel, was interviewing Scott Harrison, the founder of  charity: water.  As I listened to his testimony and of what his non-profit is doing, one tear after another formed, making it a little hard to work.  You can watch the interview here:  Nicky Gumbel interview with Scott Harrison . 
 
One of the things about Scott that I really like is that his non-profit is not a Christian ministry.  Although he is a Christian and runs it.  He has atheists and Christians alike working for him.  He has amazing people who leave companies like Google to work for him. They follow his values, but he is not insulated in a Christian non-profit that might not allow for anyone but Christians to work there.
 
I really like that.  And I'll tell you why.  I'm tired of Christian ministries and non-profits who seemed scared to let anyone into their world.  I want to support non-profits and causes that are doing an excellent job.  A place I could walk into and say "I love Jesus and he loves you and I'm giving you the money he says to give to you."  A place that would wonder why I would pick them to support when they aren't a Christian outfit.
 
If you read my facebook or twitter posts, you know that I'm selling my little book "hey poptart guy!"  at BookPeople and through Lulu publishing.  I'm not going to get rich, at all, in doing so, but maybe I can give a little away to a local non-profit I believe in, LifeWorks Austin.  They are not a Christian organization, and maybe they don't do everything right.  But neither do I.  I want them to know a person who loves Jesus and cares about the troubled teenagers in Austin wants to support them, to cheer them on in any way I can. 
 
I am so happy BookPeople, a local bookstore known not for it's Christian books but it's diversity, loves my book and wants to sell it.  They are being Jesus to me whether they know it or not. 
 
The day I listened to the interview with Scott Harrison, I came home and asked my family to watch the interview on my laptop.  There are few things that captivate my boys, but they were transfixed by Scott and what he had to say. We quickly decided as a family we would give up things, like some of our birthday, coffee, and  iTunes money and raise money this year for charity: water.  They dig wells for people who need it.  Water means so much, I think perhaps we have no idea.  To give people the water that lets them stay hydrated, to bathe, to feel beautiful, to grow food, to do so much more - sounds pretty great to us.
 
We asked my parents to match whatever we raise this year, with a cap of $500. But it's possible we will raise much more.  I hope so.  And I hope we inspire others along the way.