a devotion from september 11, 1966

We read this as a devotion this evening, and I thought it was too great not to share.  It's dated September 11, 1966, and is taken from "Streams in the Desert", Volume 2.   The writer is Mrs. Charles E. Cowman, pioneer missionary.

The eternal God is thy refuge.....(Deut. 33:27)

One night during a terrific storm a man walked along the shore of the sea.  The clouds hung low overhead.  The wind howled.  Thunders roared.  Lightning flashed and the rain poured down in torrents.  The man pulled his overcoat closer around him, bent his body to the wind and hurried home.  A little bird lost in the storm sought shelter under his coat; he took it in his hand, carried it home, placed it in a warm cage.  The next morning after the storm had subsided, and the clouds had cleared away, he took the little bird to the door.  It paused on his hand for a moment; then lifting its tiny wings, it hurried back to its forest home.  Then it was that Charles Wesley caught the vision, and going back to his room he wrote the words to a song that is loved around the world today and will live on in time:

Jesus, Lover of my soul
Let me to thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high;
 
Hide me, O my Saviour, hide,
Till the storm of life be past;
Safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last!
 
Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on thee:
Leave, ah! leave me not alone.
Still support and comfort me.


Lighting a candle tonight and remembering September 11, 2001.  I pray for all those who came through and out of that day with such loss and sorrow.  I pray they know the refuge I know.  His name is Jesus and He is faithful and true.