ain't no grave

I'm pretty selective about what I write and post on social media.  Once in a while, I bare my heart, but my main goal is to make people laugh.  We all need to laugh.

I also tend to show the wonderful side of my kids.  You don't hear about their battles.  Their jacked up ways. I respect their privacy so you won't hear me talking about it here other than to say they have been through some pretty rough times, some really scary stuff going on.  There have been mornings sitting on their beds in the dark where they have cried like babies on my shoulder.  Weeping under the stress of being a teenager and all it brings.  Hurting a lot from choices they have made.

And I have sat there, wordless and wondering if I have anything to say at all that would make a difference.  I usually decide that I don't.  I tell them I love them and I pray.

Something happens when I pray.  A lifting, a sigh of relief, a rushing out of the pain, if only for a moment before going back under.  Yet in going under, knowing they are taking the blood of Jesus as a cover with them.  Someone who will fight for them.  Someone who will set his angels around them.

I'm so thankful for friends who pray for my kids.  No words for them.  Just tears of gratefulness. And grandparents whose prayers are like swords cutting through the darkness.  They often don't know what's going on but it doesn't stop them from praying.

There was a school day last year when I was in my car outside the Coffee Bean in a parking lot.  I really just wanted a cappuccino and a brighter day.  I was tired, and sad and mad.  As the tears came, I pulled over and sat in that parking lot.  I said out loud to no one in particular, "I don't know what to do." And God said, "They are going to be okay."  He's good at answering when I'm not even talking to him.  And I'm glad.  Because at the time I would not have believed it coming from anyone else.

This song makes me happy.  You might like it too, especially if you could hear it's happy music.  Go listen to it.


Oh my Lord it's a winding road
It's all bent from a heavy load
Feel the weight beneath the ground
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down

Oh my Lord I can barely sing
Waiting for You and Your reckoning
Angels hummin', can you hear the sound?
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down

I will rise, I will rise
I will rise, I will rise
Troubles come for everyone
Death has no respect for love
Roll that stone I won't be found
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down

Lord I'm crooked from head to toe
Got dirty hands and a dirty soul
I was lost but now I'm found
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down

Feel the weight beneath the ground
Ain't no grave gonna hold me down

 
lyrics from "Ain't No Grave" - Crowder