i will fight to follow

This month has been a blur of medical visits.  Ben sprained an ankle, and the x-ray revealed a cyst on a bone further up his leg.  Which led to a visit to the family doctor, who referred us to an orthopedist at Dell Children's Hospital.  So we wait to see if it's anything to be concerned about. I really feel it's not, but we will have it looked at. 

He also has a recurring scalp condition and we are on visit number four to the dermatologist to see if it can be resolved.   Fortunately, we asked the question "What are you washing your hair with?" and found out body wash was the answer.  Oh yes.  So we were able to stop that routine and rule that out for the doctor.

Syd has a plantar's wart that is eating itself and growing bigger.  And causing lots of pain for our soccer player.  It likes the medicine and freezing we give it, kind of like feeding Audrey 2 in Little Shop of Horrors.  After two trips to the family doctor who insisted on treating it himself, he referred him to the dermatologist.  Actually Syd is the only one who goes to him, our other family doctor is in Austin where the rest of spend our days. The dermatologist also agreed to check out his teenage acne that seems to be thriving along with his wart.

Meanwhile, I had a routine blood test which came back with high liver counts and high cholesterol.  "Not as high as an alchoholic," my doctor said.  Oh good.  Not sure what is causing it, but I have had one ultrasound and may have another.  Another blood test in two weeks to doublecheck my liver. Getting off some medication and hoping to rule out anything significant next month.

And then there's my routine visit to my amazing endodontist, the one and only Julius Eickenhorst, just to make sure no more teeth are falling out.

And Steve?  Steve got some new smashing gray glasses.  He's fit and in fighting shape.

During all of this, I listened to a message Rick Warren gave on worrying.  Worrying really does get you nowhere and takes up emotional energy.  I'd rather pray and give it over to Jesus.  I can be concerned and change my diet and pray for my children.  Take them to good doctors.  Do whatever I can and leave the worrying and fear behind.  For now, Jesus knows, and that's enough for me. 

Shortly after finding out about my blood test, I drove to Dallas by myself.  A first for me in a long time because of my past anxiety.  I let Siri guide me as I took a route I've never taken before.  I did high-five myself when I arrived.  I had one of the best weekends with some extended family that involved the kind of laughing that makes you hurt.  Shopping, restaurants, a movie...all that DalVegas has to offer.  Cousin Carin lighting her hair on fire while lighting way too many candles.  Some spiritual discussion along with hilarious storytelling.  Old friends dropping by and drinking the honey whiskey you wished you could drink.  Introspection on the ride home with Jesus.  No time for worrying.

I'm preparing to teach on prayer for a break-out session at the Fellowship of Plum Creek's upcoming women's retreat.  I'm excited about it and am believing God for some beautiful things through it.   It's the first time I have taught on prayer in a really long time.  Shortly after I told some friends outside of the church I wasn't doing any prayer ministry these days, I got a call asking me to do this.  I felt honored and humbled they would ask.  As our church grows along with our city, I really do want to see God birth more prayer.  I'm using Pete Greig's new prayer course as a jumping off point for my talks...see  www.prayercourse.org .  Pete is anointed and silly smart.  And has put a lot of thought and prayer into this course.

The Lord has already started to do some of the things I'm praying for.  I pray I navigate well through the next two months until the retreat.  Would love your prayers for my family and me. 

Turn my eyes to see your face
As all my fears surrender
Hold my heart within this grace
Where burden turns to wonder

I will fight to follow
I will fight for love
To throw my life forever
Into the triumph of the Son

- lyrics taken from Love is War, Hillsong United