brown paper packages tied up with string

My birthday is coming up.  And while most of us feel pressed for time in gift giving and like to give gift cards,  I have a friend who doesn't believe in giving gift cards.  At least not all of the time.  Who takes the actual risk of getting you something you may not like.
 
Today I received a package from her, which I applauded in my kitchen, alone, after opening all the gifts inside.  Not too many people celebrate your birthday like it's their own.  Not too many people gather things all year round to make you feel loved and to make you laugh.  My friend Jakes and I try to give each other great birthday gifts.  She usually wins.  Not that it's a competition. 
 
There is usually something homemade, used, or from the dollar store.  Sometimes there is an actual gift that costs more than five dollars.   Last year I got the soundtrack to High School Musical 3 in my package.  For Christmas I got a felt flower pin.  I usually send her earrings, or something I can imagine her wearing.  Once I sent her a bikini top.  But that's another story.  And usually the postage costs more than the contents.  Something our husbands like to point out.
 
Tonight, I thought I'd share my birthday package from her with you.   May we all have friends so thoughtful and funny.
 
 

I love these little notecards.  She attached the ribbon and flower.  "So you can write love notes to whoever, co-workers, whoever..."  That's exactly what I will do.
 


 
Again, homemade is always best.  I do not yet know what to do with this satchel, or sleeping bag for Skipper's baby, but I will put it to good use.
 

ELF products are always a good gift choice.  Cheap and sometimes amazing.
Here I am with this shimmering facial whip on my lips.  You be the judge.

 
Sort of Icelandic, like Bjork.  Brrr...
Moving on, Jakes made a note of the fact that I recently bought a VCR at Goodwill to watch my wedding video with.  Nevermind I should have put it on DVD.  Why buy DVD's when there are perfectly good VHS tapes out there?  I foresee more of these in my future gift packages.  And who doesn't love Ever After?
 

 
Now here's a product Jakes spent a good ten minutes talking about when I called to thank her for my gifts.  She could go door-to-door selling them.  The crown jewel of cleaning tools.   I'm skeptical.  It says not to use any sort of cleaner with it.  My German upbringing tells me I must use Comet or something.  I will test and get back to you. 
 


 
There were a few items addressed to Lorelei from Sooki.  If you don't know who they are, I am very sorry for you.  This was one of them.  I'm very excited to have a margarita magnet to mark exciting events on my fridge calendar with. 
 


Did I mention I have a VCR player?  Jakes honestly wasn't sure she could part with this in a recent move.  Don't worry, it will find it's way back, just as sure as a Carolina river. 
 


Here's a little something I will be taking to the Lace Cactus suite on my upcoming B and B stay.  White Musk?  Scary or Sensual?  Musky or Marvelous?
 




And last, but certainly not least, a novel based on the Gilmore Girls.  And I use the term novel pretty loosely.  It does have color photos in the middle.   It just might be the beautiful beginning of a collection of all things GG. 
 


So there you have it.  Applause all around.  Friends are great when they are friends like Jakes.