no power of hell: a tribute

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.

The first time I met Kay Langham I was struck by her beauty; her soulful eyes, her mane of blonde hair, her beautiful cowboy boots, a perfectly made-up face, and her silver jewelry.  A great laugh and modest confidence.  But beyond her physical beauty, I was struck by her spiritual attractiveness, a quiet grace and sharp discerning mind.   As her son described her, "a one woman wrecking ball"  who lived and loved so well.  "The battle cry is love," she would often say.  She warred behind the scenes and did it all for Jesus.

At her memorial service, her pastor revealed that Kay had been his confidant for the last 13 years, the person who he went to often because of her discernment and prayerful life.  One of the reasons he accepted the call to his church was because of Kay's role on the leadership team.  I was not surprised.  Kay had so much God-given discernment and wisdom.  She was always so faithful to pray and pray in detail.

I've known Kay for years, she's always been someone my family confided in for prayer.  If my mom asked me if she could share my prayer requests with her myriad group of intercessors, I always asked if Kay would pray confidentially.  I trusted her completely.  I can't remember a time that I asked Kay to pray for me that she didn't write out a prayer and email it to me or my mom.  I can't remember a time she didn't that for everyone one of us.   And she was always right on.  Scarily so.

Early in my marriage, I had a dream I wanted someone to interpret.  I asked Kay to come over and we sat at my dining room table.  She owned Austin Countertops with her husband Ken and it was just up the street from our house.  As I shared my dream, it became evident to me - and to Kay - that it was about some unacknowledged sin in my life.  When I finished talking, we both sat there silently.  Then Kay nodded her head, probably more to Jesus than to me, and said, "Okay, I'm going to get going."  She didn't judge, chastise, or try to walk me through some repentance exercise.  She was so confident in her ability to hear from God, and for God to deal with me that she knew her reason for coming over was done.  And she left.  It was one of the kindest things anyone ever did for me.

When our son Syd was born, he was missing fingers on his left hand.  My mom once again enlisted her intercessor friends to pray over him, in case the fingers were an indicator of any other complications.  After Kay passed on to heaven, I dug through baby books and bins to find the card Kay sent me 15 years ago. 

Here's what she wrote:
Having spent time praying for Sydney I was interested in knowing what kind of person he is and I looked up the name Sydney:
Literal meaning: "Saint Denis" - Form of French
Suggested Character Quality:  Discerner of Excellence
Suggested Lifetime Scripture:  "But you, seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you."
The word hand occurs 1365 times in 1209 verses in scripture.  It's no small matter.  I believe Sydney is going to bring great glory to God in his life.  Blessings - may he accomplish all God has for him!

Who writes baby cards like that?!  Who takes the time to pray like that?  Such a treasure and I'm so grateful for her life intersecting mine.  I know her prayers bring great fruit forth.

A few years ago Kay was diagnosed with cancer.  It was during the time of my dark depression, and we ran into each other at a healing room in Lakeway.  We hugged each other and wept for the other, because that's how Kay was.  She cared for her dying husband as she battled cancer.  She continued to pray for me, for even extended family members in my own family.  She leaves behind many grandchildren and children who loved her deeply.

At her memorial service, I mourned her and watched her children and grandchildren who I do not know, but am praying for, as she prayed so well for me.  It's the least I can do.  I noticed especially one young girl in cowboy boots and a white lacy skirt, sporting a french braid streaked with blue hair.  A new generation of spunk.  I sensed the Lord's delight in her like I sensed with Kay.  I asked my mom who she was and it turned out to be Kay's granddaughter McKenna.  My mother mentioned to McKenna's dad that I said she reminded me of Kay.  And not surprisingly, he said she was the most like her of the grandchildren, and he was so thankful to have that reminder of his mother.  God is so faithful and good.

I will miss Kay so much.  It's a panicked, selfish feeling when you lose someone who has prayed so faithfully for you.  And who you love.  But I'm so so grateful I knew her.  I know she is tearing it up in heaven, sharing her stories with Jesus that he already knows, and keeping tabs on us left below.

No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

- In Christ Alone