oh dearest Jesus, what law hast thou broken


 Tonight my family sat with the congregation of St. Paul Lutheran Church, and worshipped the Lord with them in their beautiful sanctuary.  I listened to the broken voice of an elderly woman singing behind me.  I thought of what her journey with her Savior might be like after so many years.  I envied her the time.  I listened to her sing with sorrow in her voice.

Oh dearest Jesus, what law hast thou broken
That such sharp sentence should on Thee be spoken?
Of what great crime hast Thou to make confession,
What dark transgression?


They crown Thy head with thorns, they smite, they scourge Thee;
With cruel mockings to the cross they urge Thee;
They give Thee gall to drink, they still decry Thee;
They crucify Thee.

This week God gave me the job I asked for.  He heard the unspoken prayers of my heart, the threads of my unvoiced pleas going straight to heaven.  He made a way for me.  He didn't have to.  It wasn't the first time.  It won't be the last.

Whence come these sorrows, whence this mortal anguish?
It is my sins for which Thou, Lord, must languish;
Yea, all the wrath, the woe, Thou dost inherit,
This I do merit.   *

This is a God that loves you more than you know.  His name is Jesus.

So come home running
His arms are open wide
His name is Jesus
He understands

He is the answer
You are looking for
So come home running
Just as you are


Oh child of God so dearly loved
And ransomed by the Savior's blood
And called by name, Daughter and Son
Wrapped in the robe of righteousness 
**





*Oh Dearest Jesus, What Law Hast Thou Broken
Johann Heermann

** lyrics taken from Come Home Running
Chris Tomlin